CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Comparison help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djmon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Comparison help Reply with quote

This is somewhat continuing the dropshot topic I previous posted.

So for starters I know that there are plenty of people that are " techqiue" fishing and don't spend the money to buy the special rods that are titled for the purposes. What I mean is spend $50 vs $100 on a rod to use for drop shot even though it doesn't say drop shot on it. If it's not your may fishing way then you may hold off on the extra spending.

Anyways I was looking for three things if you guys want to offer info:
Shimano crucial dropshot vs compre (minimum dropshotting)
Lenght of rod
Action/Power

Thanks as always guys
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for the rods themselves, but I think most anglers would agree that a medium action 7' -7'2'' rod with a fast tip and medium to slow taper is best for drop shotting.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what i was assuming but seeing as i cant speak from experiance its always good to get feeback... thanks gary;

once i make up my mind on a rod we'll have to hit the water again and you can show me some more to DS along with that "special rig" of your i learned at the tourney. see ya!
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me! Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my $.02 on it:
I normally use 6# line for dropshotting, but I really prefer a 7' ML rod,..that's built for handling lines down to at least 4#. You are using such a small hook that you really need to have a very limber rod that will act like a shock absorber if you are trying to land a fish of any size. If you hook a fish through the lip,..then you can probably land them using a flipping stick, however you often do not get that hook into the lip when you're dropshotting. I've landed +5lb fish that were only hooked through a little tiny patch of skin in the roof of their mouth, with my ML rod.....I doubt that I would have kept those fish on the line if I was using anything stiffer.

Note: I own a 7'M Crucial "dropshot rod",..but I consider it to be really too stiff for my dropshotting needs,...I use it for "other" stuff!
Another note: Even with my ML rod and 6# line, I can still unbend those light-wire DS hooks if I get hung up and pull too hard!
djmon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That kind of makes sense to me- What size hooks are you using ( I'm assuming size 1 gamakatsu octopus hooks are too big??)
TackleMaker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Ok now I know I have been away too long Reply with quote

I may sound stupid to some or even all of you. but what the Hell is a Drop Shot? or Drop Shooting? I am guessing it has somehting to do with Ice fishing? or and I way of like on Mars? If it is a good guess that would be why I don't know. Because I have never Ice Fished. Not that hard core. However, i have Steelhead fished in Pulaski with 6 feet of snow and below freezing temps. in water up to my chest. standing on rocks that were covered with Ice under that much water. So i suppose i did go Ice Fishing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop shot is for open water. Here is a link
http://www.richz.com/fishing/articles/dropshot.html... It is from one of marks post in a different topic.

I also use 6lb floro. I have a ML daiwa drop-X rod. I love this rod, I feel every little tick,rock,anything. It is really hard for me to put down this rod when I am fishing it
TackleMaker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Oh ok I get it Reply with quote

I have used this technique many times. However, I was not familiar with the term Drop Shot. Thank you guys. I use especially if I am around rok. a 5 lb lighter line for the weight. if it gets snagged. it breaks before my hook and bait line. I have not used it for fresh water only salt.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many maufacturers label there rods as fast,xfat or mod fast. ive seen some rods that are labeled fast but are truely an extra fast.. dont go by it saids on a label.
Justin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with not going with specifically what's on the label. You're best bet is to go to a good tackle store (one that has a large selection of various types of rods) and feel the difference for yourself. You want something that is stiff enough that you can put pressure on the larger fish, but you don't want one with a tip that won't give when the fish try to run.

Personally, I think the G Loomis are some of the rods for this technique, I personally have a 6'10" Kistler labeled for drop shotting and am very content with it. I wouldn't suggest going out and spending a couple hundred bucks or more on a rod you may not like, or you may not use for other techniques...that's the problem you will most likely run into when you buy a rod labeled for drop shotting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: