CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Congamond 9/19
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cots6

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Congamond 9/19 Reply with quote

My friend Jon and I decided to check out Congamond in a canoe. Our good friend has a house on Middle Pond, and a canoe, so we gave it a shot. We fished the East shore of Middle pond by Louie B's starting at around 6am. We met up with TurtleKiss Kira and her boat is the coolest thing ive ever seen haha.
Tried working a buzzbait early and got 2 biggg strikes within the first couple casts but nothing to set the hook on. Kira did catch one LMB, didn't see how big it was though.
We worked buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, and senkos all the way into the North Pond. The sun started coming up as we were going into the North Pond, and noticed roughly 4 other bass boats in there too.
We fished all around North with nothing for about 2 hours. However, Kira did say she say a 4-5lber cruisin the shore which gave us a little bit of hope.
At around 11:00 Jon and I started heading back to our friends house discourged, soaking wet, and tired.
That was my first time fishing from a canoe and although it was nice being on the water....it was very difficult to get used to. I am soreee.
Skunked.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Soaking wet"? Did you dump the canoe? Surprised

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report. I'm going to have to fish Congo one of these days seeing as it is only a few minutes from my house. I have fished it from shore on the SE Cove of middle. I like taking my kids there to catch pumpkinseeds and rock bass. I have never fished it from the yak though.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught my 1 bass while it was still dark. 7" black/red twisty-tailed worm on weighted spring-lock hook skipped under a dock. Nice fish...probably about 2 - 2.5 lbs.

I enjoyed middle Congamond when it was dark, cold and foggy, but once it's light out I'm not sure how you're supposed to fish it without a fishfinder. There's very little visible structure. The docks are all in very shallow clear water, and the bass were not there during daylight. There were some pads between docks, but nothing that a bass would call ideal. Fishing past the dropoff was frustrating....the entire bottom is covered with grass and coily weeds.

North Pond nice visually, but it's devoid of structure as well. Someone needs to go there with a chainsaw and make some trees fall in the water. More coily weeds, clear shallow water, sunfish and baby bass all over the place. The cruiser I saw came out from under the fallen tree my worm got caught in...I knew there was a fish in there because it was the only spot that provided adequate coverage for a bass close to shore...and that's only because the leaves hadn't fallen off yet.

After noon, I checked out the part of Middle Pond that I didn't see earlier...more of the same. Nice houses, no structure, packed with pleasure boaters and pontoon party boats with PA systems. This place became about as much fun as standing in line at the post office. The launch area and parking are ideal for those of you with trailered boats. It's a really tidy, well-maintained place, beautiful town, easy drive from Hartford...but it was a frikkin' zoo. Totally the opposite of the privacy/semi-solitude I like when I go fishing. Oh, and there's a $5.00 charge to use the launch. I'd recommend Congamond ONLY for night fishing.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Cots6

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha yeah we dumped the canoe twice. It wasn't too bad, but my back was a little sore from sitting on a lifejacket for 4+ hours. I gotta get used to it i guess. Fun trip though. Congamond is def a night fishing place
Aj1986

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live about 5 min away from congamuck and iv found that fishing for bass is pretty hard. ice fishing is another story tho, we go to north pond and cant keep shiners on the hooks. north pond has some large bass and pickeral. my buddy caught a 26-27 inch pickeral and my bro caught a 5 bass last ice fishing season. The problem iv had fishing open water is mostly the boat trafic, even night fishing from a canoe can be hard with all the a$$holes flying around there. but on the south side of middle pond there are some nice coves with alot of pads and deeper docks around the marina thing near saunders package store. plus if you use the launch over at the south end its free, or atleast iv never had to pay this year. They also stock salmon and trout if you want to do some trolling. saw a couple nice size salmon come out of there. one was upwords of 10lbs but that was also through the ice. here are a few of the fish from north pond 09-10 ice fishing http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss360/Idkmyname86/ice%20fishing%2009-10/
Cots6

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yah ive heard only good things about the ice fishing there from my boss and my dad. My boss claims theres 50lb + salmon in there and that north has a lot of trout. I def agree about the boat traffic, and i know first hand about some drunk a-holes driving around there too. Ive also heard theres eels in there the size of cars haha
Aj1986

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah my friend tells me that north pond has all the trout but iv never got one there, through open or ice. only trout iv caught was in middle pond. but yeah there are some big eels and what not, got one that was prolly 4-5lbs with a dead shiner. i dont know about 50+lb salmon but i know theres some big ones in there, and they stock quite a few every year.
Flipper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished the Congo a lot, too and the bass fishing is pretty tough. There are plenty of big ones but the fishing pressure is unbelievable on that lake. The tourney guys routinely catch 5-7lb bass but I think many come from deeper water. All the shallow bass have seen everything in the box, for sure. My PB on that lake is 5lb bass (black spinnerbait) and 5lb salmon (live shiner).
I don't think there is a 50lb salmon in this state, but I'm pretty sure none of the extra breeders that DEP stalks live through the summer. The trout don't even hold over there due to no thermocline (at least not enough O2, and colder water).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: