CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Congamond Maiden Voyage
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flipper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Congamond Maiden Voyage Reply with quote

I finally got out Sunday and got an auger. I think it's the same one as Phil. It is an 8" hand auger that cost $55 from Dicks, but I was impressed with how fast it goes through the ice. So I decided to test it out.

Went to the lake around1:30pm and only stayed about 2.5 hours. The weather was good until the end and there was 4"-6" of black ice. I was using heavy medium shiners on 4 tip ups and a crawler on 1. Tried jigging for a little while also. I started shallow and worked my way to deep water and that's when I got my first Ice fish. It was only a small bass, but it was nice to get aquainted with my new gear and get a line wet. Nothin else for the day.

I am now ready to hit Bantam for some Pike on Ice. I will be going this weekend for sure, if anybody is interested.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading a bunch of reviews and posts online, I ended up trading the $55 eight inch Mora for a $90 eight inch Lazer, both by StrikeMaster. The only differences that I see between the two are the blade design and the Lazer has a couple of supports at the head of the auger. I assume that the extra support helps keep the head of the auger from bending out of shape and messing up the angle of the blades. So far, the Lazer cuts really well, but I think the Mora would probably have been just as good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mora is a great auger for the price..55 bucks ...
I have been using the same auger for years and
every once in a while if you have to buy new blades
I use it all the time for 6inches and below then i break out gas.
The trick is to keep cuting, the more you stop and rest and start again, the more you ram the blades into the ice and over time it will start biteing.
Flipper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost had to get the $90 one because it was the only 8" one they had. Then at the last minute, I found the last 8" $55 one on the back of the shelf. I think this one will work fine as long as it is taken care of. I can just buy replacement blades if these get dull. They are fairly cheap.

Now I just need to get a good drill and the adapter.....And a shanty....And a snowmobile....etc, etc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the drill adapter its your for 20$ Laughing
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i buy new blades every year for mine and it works fine, since i usually only fish central ct the ice isnt usually thicker than 8 inches, have had no problems with it and i bought my auger from a friend of my fathers who bought it in the late 70s or early 80s! mine is the one piece without the height adjustment like they make now!
mostly Ice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the 8" Mora, and it worked OK, but the blades stuck out past the auger by a 1/2" on each side and they cause it to bind on the ice a bit. Broke a blade and went to the local bait store for a replacement and they didn't have any 8" left, only 7" blades. Well come to find out the 7" blades fit perfect, same diameter as the auger. That totally fixed it, it works great now. I couldn't believe the difference, never mind that it actually worked.

A newbie I took fishing decided to try and cheat and drill through an old frozen over hole. Everyone who's tried that knows it doesn't work out well. In his frustration, banging the auger around in the hole he broke the blade somehow.
Flipper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyBass - does the adapter work good? Does it have the strap to keep the auger from falling in the water?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its works well you just need a drill with some nut.
Yes it does have the strap.....Dewalt 18 volt is what I used
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: