CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Congamond - Sunday 10/09/2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daryl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Congamond - Sunday 10/09/2010 Reply with quote

Well for the maiden voyage of the "M.O.B.D." I chose to go to Lake Congamond in Southwick, Ma. No boating license needed, so with the boat and trailer registered, off I went. In the water at 8:45am. Air temp was 50-55 degrees, then up to 67 degrees. The water temp was between 60-62 degrees all day. Damn 3 day Mass license costs $26!

Dan and I started out launching at the North Launch on the middle pond. Figured we would start shallow around the docks and work our way down to the south pond. We took a while to get situated with all the new equipment and such, and then we were off to casting.

Everybody out on the lake that day was getting skunked. A lot of high dollar bass boats were heading in early and looking all pissed off. One guy said he got a 3lbs. LM on a meal worm? Maybe they were going for trout.

No luck anywhere on that darn lake. Except one spot. Right as you cross under the south pond culvert, about 30 feet to the right, with the middle pond off your back there is a patch of lily pads there where we could see the bass getting airborne.

I picked up one small smallmouth on a 3 inch white tailed powerbait grub on a jig head. Picture is below.

What a great day regardless of one catch. We tried live shiners, big and small, wacky worms, texas rig worms, crankbaits and spinners too.

I need to practice with my fish finder and turn off the damn fish indicators.

One more comical note, while out in the south pond I heard a loud motor throttle back fast all of a sudden over near the culvert. On the way back we saw where someone smacked it with their boat. Not sure if it was while we were out, but nonetheless, there's a pic of the damage to the culvert below.

Out of the water by 5:30pm

I'm also including a few pics of the boat on the trailer, since I'm proud and all. Looking forward to getting away to Salem, MA for the weekend, but I'm gonna miss my boat!

Regards,

Daryl

Aj1986

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can fish Congamond with a CT license, didnt have to spend that 26$ but sounds like a good time out. If you go back try fishing north pond, theres some big bass and pickeral in there.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought that Congamond is an either/or CT/MA fishing license lake. Oh, and that's a largemouth bass. A small one, to be sure, but a largemouth bass just the same.

And the fishing has been slow all over the place this week. I've met a lot of guys and one gal (eh, TurtleKiss?) in skunky boats this week.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup definitely a LMB but it does look like you caught a SMC (Small mouth corona)
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Yeah, I thought that Congamond is an either/or CT/MA fishing license lake. Oh, and that's a largemouth bass. A small one, to be sure, but a largemouth bass just the same.

And the fishing has been slow all over the place this week. I've met a lot of guys and one gal (eh, TurtleKiss?) in skunky boats this week.

Oh, we're "naming names" now, huh?
It's not for a lack of trying, but this transitional weather is confusing to both me and the fish. I still maintain that Congamond sucks for daytime & weekend fishing.
Daryl - that's a very realistic swimbait you're holding in the photo! Wink

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Daryl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kira, glad you like my new patented "Real-Look" swimbait. I modeled it after the worlds bravest miniature LMB. Laughing

Tuesday is looking kinda crappy for weather.... About a 30% chance of rain and 58 degrees, but I'm off from work on Tuesdays, so it's a fishing day for me.

Anybody interested in going out Tuesday? I sure would love to finally be able to learn some new tricks you guys/gals on the forum! I'm planning on kayaking most likely if I go by myself. However, if anyone feels like towing my small boat around we could always hit up a larger body of water. All you need is a standard 4 prong trailer harness hookup. I'm without my Honda Element until I turn in my lease in December on my Civic.... That means no trailer hitch for me right now, and I really don't wanna borrow the in-laws truck and leave them to run their landscaping business outta my car for the day.
Either way, I could probably use the paddling exercise before I start putting on my winter weight.

Any suggestions for fishing this week? Out of my last 3 fishing excursions I'm tracking less than 5 fish boated and none of them keepers, maybe my tacklebox got sprayed by a skunk Shocked

Well it's off to Salem, MA for me today. I'm going to see if I can find some Halloween spirit with my misses and her friends. I will have a refreshing PUMPKIN ALE in honor of everyone on the board! Twisted Evil

Cheers,

Daryl

p.s. I wonder if there are any ponds in Salem. haha.
Daryl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, one more thing. Does fishing season ever end in CT for Bass or Trout? I know saltwater is regulated, but with ice fishing, isn't it year round?

Phil I'm bummed to find out about the Nod Brook WMA not having any abysmal depths! I thought we were gonna have our very own local, super deep ice fishing hole Crying or Very sad Yes, I do have a fishfinder/depthfinder on the MOBD. I got myself a Humminbird 170 for less then $90 on sale. It's a great unit and seems to be very accurate thus far. I'm working on getting it rigged up in a camcorder bag to make it portable for ice fishing. I've figured out how to rig it up to 6 volt flashlight battery cells that will run it for a few hours when wired in a series. There cheap at about $2 each at ocean state job lot. Maybe when you park the 'yaks for the season, you can dismount your finder and experiment with a portable setup.

Now, I just gotta figure out what to mount the transducer to for ice fishing. Maybe a broom handle? HAHA

"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers." - Herbert Hoover
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daryl!

Open and closed seasons (including specific waters) are listed in the Ct. Angler's Guide, page#7!

No closed season on Bass.
Closed season on Trout.

NOTE: Some waters are closed to icefishing!

SeaDog1
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good report. I have a tourney soon, so it was helpful. Thanks..!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: