CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Connecticut River - Haddam Meadows 08/12
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Connecticut River - Haddam Meadows 08/12 Reply with quote

After spending the whole day kayak fishing on Sunday, I felt like getting out on my bass boat, The Other Woman, Too, on Monday, so NWDarkcloud (aka Bob) and I headed down to the Connecticut River at Haddam Meadows. We got a late start, but were on the water at about 10:45 am. Low tide was at 11:09 am and high tide at 4:46 pm. The day was mostly sunny with air temperatures from the mid-70s to the low 80s. What little wind there was blew out of the south. We started by drifting the east bank of the river starting from about a mile north of the ramp. The water was clear down only a couple of feet and the water temperature was in the mid-70s. We didn't get a single nibble or see any fish along a mile of riverbank. Confused I had forgotten to get the sunscreen out of my Jeep, so we headed across the river to the ramp for a bit, before heading straight down to the Connecticut Yankee Atomic Power Plant Canal. When we arrived at the canal, we motored all the way up to the cove at the end. There weren't any other boats in it, so we had it all to ourselves. While Bob wasted time banging the shore with a wacky rigged Senko ripoff abomination, a white six inch Yum Dinger, I think, I threw a drop shot 2-1/2 inch Gulp! Minnow in the deeper water, which, at low tide, was only six to seven feet deep. I boated the first fish at 1:07 pm, which was a surprise brown bullhead:

Four minutes later, I also got a sunny:

After enduring a relentless stream of ridicule from me for fishing with Casper the Friendly Ghost's dick Laughing , Bob finally caved in and began throwing a Green Pumpkin with Large Red Flake five inch Senko. At 1:44 pm, we saw the splash of a fish right on the riprap shore of the cove and Bob threw the Senko right into it. Finally, a small keeper largemouth bass:

Bob quickly threw the Senko right into the mouths of three short largemouth bass before I caved in and converted my drop shot to a wacky Senko. At 2:11 pm, I got a short largemouth bass of my own:

And only six minutes later, I got a short smallmouth bass:

We each continued to boat the occasional short largemouth bass as we worked our way down the canal. But Bob was so jealous of my smallie that at 2:40 pm, he got one of his own:

An hour later, after I switched back to a drop shot minnow, I caught a surprise channel catfish:

At this point, I began to think of the day before, when I caught seven different species of fish. After all, the channel catfish was my fifth species of fish for the day. Very Happy I told Bob that I wanted to catch a black crappie and, perhaps, a yellow perch, northern pike or bowfin. At 4:21 pm, I caught the black crappie:

At 5:03 pm, after I switched back to a wacky Senko, I finally caught a small keeper largemouth bass:

And at 5:47 pm, I caught my seventh species for the second day in a row when I boated a northern pike with a wacky rigged Senko on leaderless fluorocarbon fishing line:

Whoo Hoo! Very Happy Shortly after I caught the pike, Bob and I decided to head across the river to the Blue Oar for dinner. As we motored past the big laydowns near the mouth of the canal, we passed a Bass Tracker with a couple of fishermen who lurk here on CTFishTalk. Hey, guys! How'd you do? Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great day. Thanks for the report.
lake fisher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a perfect day of fishing. Great post as usual.
rmflint

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be fishing Bantam!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmflint wrote:
You should be fishing Bantam!!!

Bantam is def a nice spot, but the monsters are def in that River! Two weeks ago I saw at LEAST 4 Pike that were over 36"+... I hooked into, and lost one too. Right now the big ones are deep at Bantam with those warm water temps.

Nice day fishing, Phil. I remember a year a half ago you hadn't caught a catfish species. This year I've seen a lot of brown bullhead and channel cats in your posts. That's awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Bantam because of fishing quality but because of the tournament

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmflint wrote:
No Bantam because of fishing quality but because of the tournament

Ahh gotcha!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job Phil! WTG!
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: