CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Connecticut River - Keeney Cove 10/26 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know I gotta give the Senko a rest, Damian. I caught a couple of 10 inch yellow perch today that would have made good northern pike bait.

I didn't get a close look at your dead bait rigging method. What kind and size of hook do you use? How do you attach it to the bait so that the hook stays exposed?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil!

In the Google slot -> type in "Pike rigs" then click on "Pike rig diagrams" -> will show you (with pictures) all the different rigs to use for Pike!

Best regards,
SeaDog1 Mr. Green
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gecabert

I took a look at those Wilderness Systems Tarpon kayaks online. They look pretty sweet. All of the reviews that I read were good too. I'd love to check one out in person. The only problem I see is that you probably wouldn't be able to enjoy "the awesomeness of standing" while fishing from them.

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report Peco..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, not being able to stand, is the one big drawback in my opinion. But I'm still fishing with my buddy most weekends on his boat, so it may be a nice change. I'm looking forward to hitting some quiet areas where I couldn't get in with a boat and the exercise may be nice as well.

I'll have to hit up a couple of the local stores that carry them, and check them out in person.

George
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George

If you want exercise and your significant other wants you to have "buns of steel", you should check out the Hobie Pro Angler. Very Happy I pedal and paddle, and pedaling is definitely a better workout than paddling.

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol yeah, but peddling comes at a huge $ compared to paddling Very Happy
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gecabert!

Well Phil is more into Kayaks then I am!
I'm more toward stability and comfort -> That's why I built a Guideboat.

Here though are some suggestions for you to consider:
1. www.Gooddogboats.com
2. www.riverridgecustomcanoes.com
3. www.freedomhawkkayaks.com

Now this one is a super rigged kayak for you to look at:
www.kayak-charters.com (Click on Kayak Assessories)

BUT -> You can get the Ocean Prowler cheaper at SierraTrading Post!
Go to www.sierratradingpost.com and type in Ocean Prowler in the search box and check out the Trident boats.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
SeaDog1
Flipper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peco - If I'm trolling something it's usually a golden shiner, white sucker, or yellow perch (long, skinny fish). I will use a 2' length of spiderwire attached to a 9" steel leader w/ a large hook through the mouth. I will then attach a 6" steel leader to the 9" one (where the first hook attaches). Then I will use another large hook on the end of the second leader and hook the fish just behind the dorsal fin.
This assures that when the pike hits, it will have one of the hooks in its mouth and you don't have to wait for the pike to eat it. They tend to hit it from the side, usually mid body, then turn and run so they can take it to a safe place and turn the bait around and swallow. Using a single hook on a larger bait is dangerous for the fish (if you wait to long) or has a bad hook up ratio.
If using something smaller (the pike can fit it's whole body in it's mouth), I use 1 large hook through the nose. I do not use circle hooks anymore as the hook up ratio is not very good. If I am anchored and bobber fishing with a sunny, I will use 1 hook just before the dorsal fin. If you use this method you can set the hook right away with a good hook up rate and no danger to the fish.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: pike in keeney cove Reply with quote

if fishing keeney cove for pike, definitely use a bigger lure than a senko, spinnerbaits, at least 3/4 ounce dardevle spoons, big crankbaits and slashbaits, and large plastics(at least 7 inches long) and peco, the small pike you had on could have been a pickerel also, ive caught alot of small pickerel in all parts of keeney while fishing for pike! i say that because most of the pike are larger in size, at least 26 inches in length
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: heres a smaller pike from white oaks cove Reply with quote

[img][/img]
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pP1!

If I was to make a guess -> I'd say that was a Housy Pike because of the black spots on it. (Unless that's dirt)
I've caught a few there and they all had those raised black spots just under their skin on their body.
Don't know what it is or causes it BUT,
Ugly Exclamation Shocked Evil or Very Mad

Nice size Pike though Exclamation

SeaDog1.
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, its just muddy leaves, that one was from white oaks cove on the ct river, i never fished the housy, any size to the pike there?
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pP1!

Yes! BIG Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Here's a picture of a confirmed 38 incher I caught last year and released Exclamation

Very Happy

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pikePERSUADER1 - I'll probably spend more time looking for northern pike next year than I did this year. I got only a little 23 incher out of Keeney Cove this year. I plan to hit Lake Champlain in the Spring for some larger pike in greater quantities than you could probably get here in Connecticut.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: