CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Connecticut River - Keeney Cove/Crow Point Cove 09/14
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Connecticut River - Keeney Cove/Crow Point Cove 09/14 Reply with quote

I won't be able to fish for a while, so I decided to check out Crow Point Cove (aka White Oaks). I got on the water in The Other Woman at Point Road in Keeney Cove at 2:50 pm. I could see that the water was flowing out of the cove through the culvert underneath the road. The water in the lower cove was shallow and clear; I could see the bottom pretty much everywhere I looked. The air was cool, but there was a fairly steady five mile per hour wind blowing up the cove from the south. As I headed toward the Connecticut River, I threw a white slow sinking five inch Sebile Magic Swimmer. The fish seemed to be holding in the deep water next to the channel. Well, the relatively deep three foot deep water. Rolling Eyes It was fun casting the Magic Swimmer a mile and seeing it get slammed by small bass as soon as it hit the water. I missed a few little ones, but got a 14 inch smallmouth bass and a couple of short largemouth bass:

When I approached the channel that leads to the river, I saw it has gotten so shallow that even small boats would have trouble getting into and out of the cove:

After I rounded the bend in the channel, I boated a 12 inch largemouth bass with the Magic Swimmer:

I reached the river at 3:30 pm:

I crossed and headed downriver to the channel leading into Crow Point Cove. The sandbars have shifted a lot since I was there last year. There's no way a big boat could have gotten into the cove while I was there; the water was less than 1-1/2 feet deep in the channel Shocked :

I actually had to paddle The Other Woman into the cove, because her drive fins hit the bottom of the channel when I tried to pedal her. However, once I got into the main body of the cove, the water depth quickly dropped off from less than 1-1/2 feet deep to 12 feet deep. I decided to troll a Perch Rapala Jointed Shad Rap JSR07 clockwise around the cove. As I approached the south shore, the water depth rose to five or six feet, so I swapped out the Perch JSR07 for a Yellow Perch LIVETARGET YP98M. As I headed west along the south shore, I casted the Sebile Magic Swimmer toward it. I didn't get any hits and I didn't see any fish activity on the surface of the water. My fish finder didn't show any weeds or cover on the bottom. When I rounded the southwest corner of the cove, I decided to throw a wacky rigged green pumpkin/red flake five inch Senko toward the shore. After all, I knew that if a bass were there, it wouldn't be able to resist the wacky Senko. Wink Sure enough, it got picked up by a 13 inch largemouth bass:

Although I hooked and lost a fish with the Yellow Perch YP98M, and another fish bit half of my wacky Senko clean off, I didn't boat any more fish in the cove. But as I paddled The Other Woman out of it, the wacky Senko got a couple of short largemouth bass from the shadows of an undercut bank in the channel:

I got back into the river at 5:15 pm, paddled across it and headed up the east bank. I casted the Perch JSR07 and the Magic Swimmer at the bank as I went upriver. A big fish rose up and whiffed on the Magic Swimmer. Mad I have no idea what it was, but it was big. Wink When I got to the pilings that are just downriver from Keeney Cove, the Magic Swimmer got another smallmouth bass and another largemouth bass:

I didn't get anything else in the now even shallower water of the lower cove before I got back to Point Road at 6:10 pm. If the tide hadn't still been going out and the water getting even shallower, I might have put The Other Woman into the middle cove to look for some northern pike, but I decided to head to Cabela's, instead. I didn't boat anything over 14 inches, today, but now I should be able to handle my next four days of fishing withdrawal. Very Happy

Last edited by PECo on Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job as always Phil!
rmflint

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice its always good to get some fishing in while you can. Its hard up here at school, but I fish with Stephan and my sister took me to mansfield hollow today and I got a nice two pounder which made my day. If you guys ever head this way to fish let me know!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: