CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Countryside Park 04/20
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Countryside Park 04/20 Reply with quote

I fished the south end of the lower pond at Countryside Park from about 11:00 am to 1:00 pm. I had picked up a new Blue Fox Vibrax inline spinner and a couple of Mepps inline spinners from Dick's Sporting Goods, yesterday, and wanted to try them out. I ran into a kid whom I had met there yesterday. Hey. Victor! He had been there for a few hours already and hadn't gotten anything. I gave him one of the Mepps inline spinners and tied on the Blue Fox Vibrax inline spinner. We began throwing them in the south end of the pond. I had one good hit from what looked like a big brown trout at the shore, but missed the hookset. Victor got nothing before he lost his Mepps in the trees. I tied on the other Mepps and told Victor that he should throw a fly tied under a bobber. I missed another hookset on the Mepps at the shore, but didn't get anything else on it. Like the old Mepps I tried, yesterday, the blade on the lure wouldn't turn reliably on the retrieve. I think that it worked on maybe one out of every three retrieves. Meanwhile, Victor got a good bite on his fly and landed a decent 13 to 14 inch rainbow trout. Its mouth got pretty ripped up when Victor dragged it up over the rocky shore and onto the grass. He didn't want to keep it, so I took it home. Yes, it was delicious. Yum!

Last edited by PECo on Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Flipper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try landing your spinner on the water with a tight line, then give the spinner a quick jerk before retrieving it faster than normal. This high speed will get the blade moving, then you can slow down to the speed you want to retrieve. I have the same problem with the big ones I use for pike, and if you start it fast, the blade will spin then you can slow it down. You may even need to add a splitshot so you can reel fast and still get down.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the blue fox inlines are by far my favorite, i actually went to dicks yesterday and picked up about ten more in various colors and depths....great lure!
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Blue Fox inline spinners work way more reliably than the Mepps. I wish that I had stuck with them. The one I have has a yellow feather over the treble hook. The trout didn't seem to care for it yesterday. I wish that I had gotten one with a black feather, too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been having luck with the vibrax gold spinners with the bell also. I have found that the really big sized ones (the biggest ones on the bottom rack at dicks) have been working really well in the river. I have even caught some 9 and ten inch agressive trout on those big huge things. I think most decent sized fish will go after em and you'll and up getting some real big ones. They aren't just for pike. I also think they might not be as effective in the trout parks- they might spook em- so you'd probably want to size down for that. But in the river with all the current and noise going on the big flashy french blade and noisy bell will attract more fish.
Today i bought some big willow blades so that i could switch em out with the french blades on the vibrax lures. If you want to try to get those lures down several feet you'll have to go with a longer more narrow blade (willow) or like flipper said add some split shot. Huskyjerks have been proving really great as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: