CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Countryside Park - Upper Pond 03/09
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Countryside Park - Upper Pond 03/09 Reply with quote

It turns out that the work crew from the Town of Avon failed to lower the water level in the upper pond at Countryside Park yesterday, so I fished it again today from 2:15 pm to 5:00 pm. The sky was overcast and there was a slight breeze, but the air temperature stayed in the mid-40s. I think that the lack of sunlight slowed the bite. I didn't get even a nibble for the first 45 minutes and began prospecting around the pond looking for fish. Each hole took anywhere from 12 cranks of my six inch StrikeMaster Lazer hand auger on the north end of the pond, near the open water where Hawley Brook flows into it, to 32 cranks out in the middle of the pond. Unlike yesterday when I had to chip off 3/4 of an inch of ice from day old holes, today there was only 1/2 of an inch of ice on the day old holes. When I dropped my jig down a hole that I drilled near the west shore of the pond, I felt a very subtle tug and set the hook on a healthy looking 10 inch largemouth bass:

15 minutes later, I landed a nine inch bass in an old hole that I chipped out only 15 feet away. The bite didn't really pick up until after 4:00 pm. I ended up landing the two bass, six yellow perch and six sunnies. If the ice holds up, I'll head back again soon, because I have yet to land any trout there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Phil!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil!

1st year ice fishing and now a confirmed diehard addict Exclamation Very Happy

Glad to see your having FUN Exclamation Very Happy

SeaDog1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: