CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Countryside Park - Upper Pond 03/12
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Countryside Park - Upper Pond 03/12 Reply with quote

This will probably be my last report from Countryside Park. The ice looks like it's almost done. I put my foot through it on the edge at the shore. However, if today was the last day, it was a beautiful one. The sun was out, there was very little wind and it was warm. When I left Simsbury Reservoir yesterday, I discovered that three of the minnows left in my bucket had come back to life. I set three tip-ups immediately after I got on the ice at 10:00 am and began jigging in the middle of the pond. There was just a very thin layer of ice on most of the old holes, so I only drilled a few today. I lost the last of my waxies somewhere, so I baited my micro jig with Gulp maggots. And whaddaya know, they actually work! Within half an hour, I jigged up a yellow perch:

And five minutes after that, I jigged up a short largemouth bass:

I got a couple of flags, but missed the hooksets. I jigged up another perch, another bass and another perch, but around noon the bite died. Completely. Crying or Very sad However, at 2:00 pm, just as I was thinking of packing it in, I got another flag. By the time I got to the tip-up, the fish had stopped pulling out line. So I pulled up the slack and set the hook. I knew immediately that it was a good fish and when it flashed by the bottom of the hole, I saw that it was gold! It did NOT want to put its head into the hole! But I finally got it:

Link

It was just over 16 inches long and weighed one pound, 12 ounces. Whoo hoo! Not THAT's a good way to end the ice fishing season!

Last edited by PECo on Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
metalfish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats bro. Nice fish .
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish! Nice way to end the season indeed.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the last day of ice there. Good fishing !
basswacka19

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome job peco! I actually found some open water, aspinook pond/ quinebaug river is almost 100% thawed so i'm heading there tomorrow for 3pm. I don't know what you have going on peco but i got an open seat on my boat if you wanna get out on the open water. the river is right next to hopeville pond and the part i'm fishing, aspinook pond is open to fishing year round its got largemouth and smallmouth.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, at what time are you planning to head out? I'd love to do some slow, open water fishing. I have some crawfish lures that I've been dying to try,

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes me about a half hour to get there so i'm gonna head out around 2:30 and try to be on the water around 3:00 and probably stay until just before dark but i can drop you off at the launch if you need to leave earlier. The launch is a little dirt road off of butts bridge rd, it's on the left when coming from rt12 I dont think theres a sign for it but you can call me when you get to butts bridge road and i can wait at the beginning of the launch. 860-942-0765 names matt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have texting so just call me if you need to get a hold of me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! I have to schlep my daughter around in the afternoon, so I won't be able to make it. Thanks, though. I'm looking forward to fishing more water to the east of Hartford this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: