CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Coventry Lake
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metalfish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Coventry Lake Reply with quote

Pulling the war wagon out was a chore in it self. I was skunked on this trip as well. First this year. The handfull of trips to this body of water has left me skunked. But I keep trying. One day I will get me a fish from her. See's tough. I fished with a great group of anglers tonight. Fished from 5pm to 9pm. Jigged a couple holes and set two traps 2 feet from bottom with medium shinners. One small walter was caught in are group. 15".Sweettt!! I was skunked. And I left sore as h e double hockey sticks. Play by Play on sled pulling.

Till Next Time. Later
asianfisher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Coventry Lake Reply with quote

Ha i made it like 40' on the ice and dumped my sled and carried everything from then... i feel for the sled pulling... wish i got a pic with the led on it was pretty neat. looking..
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mf!

Oooof! That was a hard slog thru that stuff!

No doubt your sore!

Talked to Bill -> He caught the only fish.

SeaDog1
asianfisher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Coventry Lake Reply with quote

Ha i made it like 40' on the ice and dumped my sled and carried everything from then... i feel for the sled pulling... wish i got a pic with the led on it was pretty neat. looking.. by the time we left there was 3-4 inches water over last 2 tip-ups. They were under water... still wasnt wet... would def go back.....
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a brutal hike through that slush. At least you found a wally and had some good company.
asianfisher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walked over to the group next to us... They said they wanted to come over but slacked but said they seen or knew Kira. And that they got into 3-4 yellow perch that i think only was under 10". They also said they were in 5' to 6' to bottom... Guess i know why ice shanty would com in handy... At night... No poker game found.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That slush formation happened ridiculously fast. I have nothing but good things to say about Cabela's Inferno pac boots now. I was deep in slush for hours and somehow still comfortable. I didn't really care that I caught nothing...not running through that mess is a win in my book.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Sorry for the late report. . . . Reply with quote

I spent Sunday and today being less selfish and taking care of family stuff, instead of thinking about fishing. I'm still cold from Saturday night. Brrr! It was tough fishing on Saturday. I started the morning at Nod Brook WMA on the upper pond with jonnyfly00 (aka Jon aka Shelly) at about 9:30 am. While we were there, Jon jigged up only a sunny:

Unfortunately, I ended up spending more time shoveling my wife's SUV out of the snow (three times!) than I did fishing. I had to leave the ice for a while at the end of the morning to schlep my daughter to a friend's house. When I finally left for good, I gave my shovel to Jon, because I had broken his. He stayed at Nod Brook when I left because a couple of his buddies showed up. They ignored his advice to not drive all the way down to the ponds and got their Ford Explorer stuck in the snow, so I'm sure that he got to do a little more shoveling. I left the ice at about 1:30 pm, but probably didn't really get out of Nod Brook until about 2:00 pm.

After stopping to pick up some beverages, I got to Coventry Lake at 3:00 pm and found that the parking lot at the State boat launch ramp on the south end of the lake was totally unplowed. Since I no longer had a shovel, I didn't want to risk driving into the lot. I called and met up with metalfish (aka Ian) at a local gasoline station. We decided to park at the "town resident parking only" beach on the north end of the lake. Ian had never been hassled for parking there in the past and we didn't see any official vehicles while we were there. I think that town officials and the police were pre-occupied with excessive snow-related stuff that day. A couple of guys showed up in a pickup truck and recognized me and Ian from CTFishTalk. After they set off onto the ice, Ian and I sat in the lot for a while before we decided to stop waiting for anyone else and set off onto the ice ourselves. Hey, Tom!

asianfisher (aka Billy) and his dad, Bill, showed up at 4:45 pm, when Ian and I were already 75 yards out on the lake. Here's Bill lounging on a sled next to his bucket o' fire:

There was a foot and a half of fluffy but easily packed snow on top of eight to nine inches of clear ice, but anywhere in the vicinity of a hole in the ice was flooded with four to five inches of water that turned the snow into a wet sloppy mess. Slogging over the ice was tough. Ian had dinged up his knee a week ago and struggled quite a bit while pulling his sled. I definitely got a good cardio workout. TurtleKiss (aka Kira) and her husband, Nestor, showed up around 5:15 pm, after we had already started setting up and drilling holes. Here's a shot of Nestor trying to figure out what the heck the rest of us were doing out there:

At 5:30 pm, Billy was setting some tip-ups when he noticed that he had a flag on his farthest tip-up. He ran over and pulled up a 15 inch walleye:

Bill got off the ice and went to wait in the car at 6:30 pm. Daryl (aka Daryl) showed up at about the same time:

We didn't get any more flags and nothing jigging after Billy's fish. It was definitely a little bit frustrating:

Ian and Daryl headed off the ice at 9:00 pm and I went with them. Billy and Kira said that they were going to give it another hour, but by that time, my socks were wet and my toes were cold from snow that had gotten onto the tops of my socks and melted. When we got to the parking lot, Ian and I both had frozen, icy slush balls hanging from our boot laces. I was so iced up that I wasn't able to take the crampons off of my boots. However, Bill gave me a steaming hot Cup O Noodles. He had brought a big thermos full of boiling hot water with him and made the noodles when he saw us coming off the ice. Thanks, again, Bill. That was a really nice way to end a cold evening.

Last edited by PECo on Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
metalfish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for joining me out there all. I had a blast. I just the fish would have been more active. Next Saturday!!
asianfisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think silver is this weekend... but sure would like to get a keeper of one of them now...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: