CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Crescent Lake 7/8/14
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jca1386

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Crescent Lake 7/8/14 Reply with quote

Let me preface this whole "review" with one word... Green. Let me say that again incase your phone went off when you started reading....G R E E N. The water at this lake is quite possibly the same green as kryptonite. That being said I put the PA in the water around 8 this morning. They have a really really nice boat ramp that is concrete and in very good shape. Makes the launch at silver lake look like the surface of the moon. The water visibility was non-existent and I wish I knew the technical reason for that, but I'll just go with the fact that it had rained not long before and that stirred something up. Moving right along, there was virtually no wind (which I have become so accustomed to) I followed the shoreline throughout the whole lake and actually grabbed a good sized pickerel with a chartreuse spinnerbait. I threw a myriad of plastics, chatter-baits, crank baits and worms only to hook one snicker sized LMB on a super craw. The bass' tail was bloody, almost as it had been maintaining a bed or creating one. I thought that time was well past us, but from what I hear about the saltwater the fish are about 5 weeks behind in arriving down in the Niantic Bay Area. Any chance that can be the case for us up here? The water was dark throughout the entire time that I was there.

There is a ton of opportunity and locations for LMB to hang out, but I think the tough bite, weather and the water conditions really hampered my efforts. There are large bass in there I swear.. Rolling Eyes Tons of sunken trees, rip rap, huge logs and a cove or two protected from the wind etc. The location is pretty neat and its surrounded by walking trails. The reason I say that is as I was fishing I swore I was losing my mind...turns out there were people walking on a 3.3 mile trail in the woods literally pacing me as I was pedaling around the lake.

Bottom line, this lake has potential as does every place I've reviewed so far...As soon as the bite resumes or weather changes or any other 15 options I hope the bite flips back to normal.

Finally, is it just me or is EVERY road that leads you to a state lake literally falling apart? I swear its the BAJA 1000 when I get within a mile of these bodies of water.....
RD54

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report. Don't know that lake at all but it sounds like either a ton of algae or possible runoff from farming. Still better than sitting in the office....
jca1386

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refer to crappy fishing days as "backing up the trailer practice".....not sure what's in there...big pickerel, stumps and large fallen trees. It should produce like a factory, maybe later in the season?
mdejohn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume we are talking about Crescent in Southington. It is really green this year have not seen it this bad. I pulled a 4-5lb largemouth out of lake in early May but the bite has been slow since. I have not been there in a few weeks, but lake gets heavy fishing pressure and bite seems to be better in morn as opposed to night. I have had good luck with perch rapala, and either pumpkin or purple worms on a carolina rig. Never had much luck with spinner baits and I doubt you could fish them now anyway!!!
jca1386

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a great spot...just not with the water color.
mdejohn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree
mdejohn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the lakes are seeing a major algae bloom since the heavy rain. I fished Lillinohoa on Friday and water visibility was about 6" to 1'. Last year candlewood went neon green. It's believed to be caused by the heavy amounts od fertilizer being used combined by heavy rain run off and the rise in temperatures recently. I'm off to Candlewood tomorrow night for some dusk fishing We'll see how that goes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a local. It gets THAT green cuz they nuke the weeds in there after the chem treat it, it turns to Pea Soup. I fished it this past weekend, and it is still off a bit...and fishin' is slow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: