CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Crystal Lake DEP Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSM07

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Crystal Lake DEP Reply with quote

Hey I was just wondering if there was anyone else that is completely fed up with the DEP at crystal lake? I have gone there about a dozen times in the last 2 years and every time these guys make up some reason to check me for everything! This last time 2 days ago I was in a canoe with my friend and they went out of their way to ask me for a fishing license, life jackets and papers for the canoe. THERE WAS NO MOTOR ON THE BOAT! They assumed because I was a 19 year old kid that I didn't know that you dont need to have a canoe registered if you dont have a motor on it. I told him this and he finally left me alone. But everytime I go these guys go out of their way to harass me. Anyone else having this problem?
DV

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go out of my way to dress like an idiot now when I go fish at popular DEP spots like the Salmon and most lakes. Flannel shirts/fishing shirts, waders, fishing related hat, slew of rods etc. I used to checked all the time cause I look like what a cop would refer to as a"trouble maker" with gauges in my ears, tattoos and being 22 etc. I obey all the laws, I don't litter and I pick up other Aholes trash, I don't keep fish, I don't use herring, I don't use more than 2 poles at a time... I can go on and on. I hate getting bothered by the DEP, most of the time I go to a "nice" spot I like to be by myself and enjoy being out side (not worrying about big brother keeping an eye on me).

Last week at one of my CTR spots another angler informed me that he called the DEP on a guy fishing down to my left for using alewife. I knew for a fact that he was using cut perch but he did have 3 poles going( I assumed his wife was fishing which she was not). The DEP went and checked him out then asked the rest of us if we had licenses. He barely looked at mine and my brothers saying that we looked "like serious fisherman". I told him that yea the guy was using 3rods but I assumed his wife had a license and that he was catching the perch on sandworms and chunking em. DEP guy didn't know the 7" creel size limit on white perch and ending up making some calls in his truck and coming back to give the guy a $155 for fishing 3 poles.

It's stuff like this that bothers me, because the DEP has been back to my spot twice since then handing out 1 non licensed ticket/abuse ticket$155 and ticketing a unregistered vehicles. Being in basically 200yards from my house I tend to drink beer at this spot and enjoy myself, I don't wanna end up with a DUI for being 1 drink over becasue some idiot had to call the DEP because he couldn't tell the difference between a perch and a BLUEBACK herring. I know many places along the CTR were foreign fisherman catch herring to use and I see tons of boats trolling for alewife. NOW why the hell is the DEP doing nothing about that? something that is highly against the law and impacts fishing.

If the DEP ever asked me if I had papers for my unregistered non motored canoe I would literally laugh in their face. Because sadly it appears up knowledgeable anglers know more than they do, maybe I could request a weekly check in the mail!

MSM maybe let me know when you go to Crystal lake again, haven't brought my canoe there yet but used to catch great numbers of LM from the shore(illegally because of the ton of posted signs on everyinch of shoreline).
PECo

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: On the other hand. . . Reply with quote

I've only had my fishing license checked once in three years, although I've spoken with DEP guys on several occasions. I actually appreciate seeing them out there. Yes, they're understaffed. And, yes, their monitoring practices don't seem very coordinated. But they're a lot better than nothing.

I found myself wishing the DEP had checked Nod Brook WPA after dusk a couple of nights ago, as I cleaned up the trash left by what I think were some carpers. Nod Brook is supposed to close at dusk. While I'm not opposed to night fishing in any way, I am opposed to fishermen who leave their trash all over the place and throw their empty beer cans into the pond.

I guess I'm saying that I wouldn't mind more monitoring, not less.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo, completely disagree. DEP has little to do with maintaining a clean fishing environement. They are not on the lake to issue fines for those that trash the place. They are supposed to be out there to ensure people follow fishing regulations. Although they may have the authority to fine someone for littering, there is nothing they can do unless they catch them in the act. They attempt to catch people doing things in the act. when there is nobody around doing illegal things they check paperwork and bait hoping to catch someone fishing and not following the laws. Im sick of being checked by DEP because they think there is a chance they will find something. Personally, If there isnt an obvious reason to be checked, people should be given the benefit of the doubt. I say they lighten up a little. Im out there to enjoy myself not have my fishing interupted by two asshole guys that take their job way too seriously

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEP has alot of jobs to do. They are federal and have and can do whatever they please. Littering, trespassing, license, even sheck your car for registration and your car license. Used to wanna be a dep until they changed the schooling law to be one... At least when i was younger... If they do lighten up they wont catch no one. Therefore increasing license among other things. Agree it can be a hassle but hey look at the bright side....
panfishh8r

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They dont have to be absolute d bags about it. I have no problem with the Garnder Lake DEP

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All!

I would rather know that the DEP is around trying to do their JOB! to catch the fishing, boating, and polluting law breakers.

Those that think their being hasseled by the DEP --> WELL! --> I would rather have them check me out a Thousand + times then Not!

THINK Exclamation --> Without the DEP --> The law breaking fishers, boaters, and polluters would 'RUN RAMPED Exclamation over the entire state Exclamation'

best regards,
SeaDog1
DV

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong I don't mind getting asked for my license every once in a while. I mind my favorite spots being frequented by the dep. It is only a matter of time till i forget my licenses or something stupid like that. I wish they went after the 100 of boats in the CTR trolling for alewife and the immigrants in the coves snagging and fishing alewife.
panfishh8r

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DV. exactly what im talking about

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panfishh8r

What DV said is also what I was talking about when I said the DEP's monitoring practices don't seem very coordinated. You know you don't really think we'd better off without them. They could definitely do it better, but to not do it at all would result in a disaster. I don't think that even SeaDog1 could keep everything on an even keel without the DEP.

Phil

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want everyone to know that the DEP has no "backbone" and will not check the inner city ponds like Batterson or places down in Bridgeport, the hartford section of the CT river or other places similar. I never seen a DEP officer ask for a fishing license at Batterson, never see them during the weekend there only during the week when no one is there. The only time I've been checked is at Bantam by the lake patrol not even a real DEP officer. Just like Crescent lake the person there will only ask a certain race of people for there permit. It would be nice to see them walking the beaches at night, or taking a stroll along the Farmington River at night. Instead the like to bother people on popular lakes and take away from there fishing time like MSM07 who I am the same age as. If they don't want to do their job I will gladly take it to stop all the illegal immigrants who call largemouth bass strpers, chain pickerel bluefish, and bluegills porgy, and have stringers full of 7 inch bass!
MSM07

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically all im saying is that the DEP checks spots like crystal lake, let me just say, A LOT. Meanwhile places in my town of Enfield like the CTR boat launch and other small ponds are being run down from not being checked literally at all. People go to the CTR Boat launch are the "trash" of Enfield and are constant run ins with people who are drunk or under the influence of drugs trying to get in a fist fight with you. Yes calling the DEP to get them down there is a solution, but have tried it before and you can only call them a certain amount of times before DEP has to realize on their own to go check. Meanwhile in the local ponds, they are getting so polluted and trashed, the fishing is terrible there, no hold overs. PECO, we have our own "bucket people" up here, believe me, down at the river and other ponds and streams, people take everything, even suckers that are like 6 inches long. Either way i'm just saying, yes DEP has to do their job, but when I think of what I would rather deal with, a person from the DMV or DEP. THe DEP makes the DMV person seem like your best friend. ANd yes I agree the Gardner Lake DEP guys are awesome, help us out with spots, check us and are nice about it. THe rest of the DEP should probably take pointers from them. It just makes for a better environment.
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its great that the DEP keeps on checking Gardner and Candlewood and other similar popular lakes but there are thousands of more lakes in CT that really need help from the DEP. Crying or Very sad
panfishh8r

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BT, definitely right man, people who cant correctly identify fish obviously cant follow limit regulations. DEP should be patrolling places more likely to be fished by this group of people. I have only been to Batterson once and there were so many people fishing from shore and keeping fish that there were no doubt people breaking laws or fishing without licenses. PECo, nobody's saying rid the world of DEP, were saying have them check other more suitable places instead of bitching at people at Crystal lake.(and being a teenager definitely plays a role) Everyone knows DEP goes to Crystal. nobody would be dumb enough to break laws there because they would definitely get caught. So why does DEP still check us every time we go there. It's annoying and it ruins the experience.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to CTR Enfield boat launch last evening, fishing was slow, there was a bunch of rowdy teenagers swimming in the water., But no drunks that I could see or dopeheads. DEP use to patrol there a few years back when i went. But the last couple times i have been I have seen no one.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: