CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: CT DEP Dock on CTR Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobO

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: CT DEP Dock on CTR Reply with quote

I was hoping to feel good enough (I have a cold) to give the DEP dock another try for Striper this weekend.

The last two times I went I have only caught one schoolie. Spending 15 hours and catching only one fish can be a downer.

Any advise on when to go and possibly what bait to use?

I have been using sandworms.

Also where is the best place to fish from the dock? I usually hang out by the RR bridge, while I see other guys go to the end of the dock near the LT river.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rob

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rob, I actually used to fish there all the time before I bought a boat last year. Some people may have a preference but for me it has been following where the fish are so I'll list the pros and cons from what I remember...

The area north of the bridge between the dep docks and the walkway is good for getting distance out into the river and depth when the fish are deep.

Right around the RR bridge is the same as you can cast out into the channels, however I have found there is a lot of debris and things to get snagged on the closer you get to the bridge. I've seen a lot of setups lost bottom fishing close to the bridge although it can yeild results.

Right now there are good fish in the shallows south of the bridge to the mouth so the southern end of the walkway would probably be worth a shot. Just watch out for boat traffic as I've seen boats entering and exiting the Lieutenant River catch several peoples lines at once.

For baits sand-worms and chunks work. I would stay away from casting baits unless you see some activity cause you will ware yourself out and as you said you can spend hours there without a lot of activity.

Good luck if you go,

Brian
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, recently I was there about 300 yards south of you which of course means I was in a boat and man the place was on fire with stripers. Continuous action for 3-4 hours with numerous strikes and about 8 hook-ups. Definitely harder waiting for the fish to come to you when shore fishing versus going after them. Too bad you don't have a kayak so you could hit the sand flats just south of the DEP dock.

Jim
RobO

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim and Brian,

Brian I agree right near the RR crossing is snag heaven. I have lost a couple of rigs casting there.. I have tried the north side of the RR bridge and it was even worse. The channel is deeper, but full of snags. I tend to fish just south of the bridge right where it begins to become more shallow.

Both times I have gone this year I have seen a ton of boats and kayaks fishing the flats you are taking about Jim. Last Sunday, I counted over 20 boats, at one time, in that area. I figured the schoolies must be running there with all those boats. The fish never came to the dock as as not one person caught a fish in the 8 hours I was there. Fisherman where trying every bait and lure they could find (kitchen sink included) but not one fish.

The weather should have been perfect. Cloudy, overcast, misty and wicked foggy. I figured the fish wouldn't be too deep, but what do I know?

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the DEP pier can be tough.

I remember fishing the late summers there most of the fish, mainly 12-24" blues, came from the section I think you are talking about where it starts to get shallow... Right after the walkway turns and angles southeast toward old lyme.

I think a lot of trees, branches and other debris gathers on that sandbar south of the bridge. One year we actually saw the branches of a good size tree sticking out of the water there, and that's where we've hit the most snags.

Although tough to judge from shore, I am betting most of our action came from chunk baits on the bottom casted to the edge of the shallow section near the drop off towards deeper water.

Brian

Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do much shore fishing but when I do I have good luck chunkin mackerel on 2 foot leaders. Also clam works pretty well I caught this at Hammonasset right in front of the changing rooms over there in the state park when all the swimmers leave this is what comes out haha
asianfisher

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday was the best for me down there this year.. The shallows is where i will be going this weekend from my kayak again as i did last saturday.... Skeeter killed it too landed 7 keepers and lost just as many for keepers. 15 or so for schoolies... From the dock Lt side would be the best cause that is the closest to the shallows but yet again ventured the whole area and only seen them like he said 300 yards down is when they start to get in heavy..... Maybe few of us will bump into each other this weekend down there... Got 5 kayaks and 2 canoes...and 2 motor boats...

[/quote]
cthonkerheaven

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobO, nice picture who ever posted that, i posted this in your new memeber section, but if you follow the dock until it breaks at 90 degrees thats my fav. spot. You can fish the edge of the flats there and the deep water of the CT River/Lieutenant river. Bunker Chunk/ Eel at night time is the best bet. Just either have your pole in a holder and be close or just set your drag, seen a few poles go over the railing in my time Smile haha
mustang11

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that image might be helpful, I've fished there for years and I even learned a few things by looking closely at it.

You are right the corner at the end can be another good spot as you are closer to the shallows. When the blue crabs come around I love anchoring the boat just south of there on the and crabbing/chunking for stripers and blues and getting thm while they are on their way up the river toward the pier Laughing

Brian
RobO

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Great Picture Reply with quote

Brian,

That is a great picture. It relaly shows where the shallow areas are. Much appreciated. It looks like I might be headed down there Saturday evening around 7pm. I believe high tide is around midnight, so I will try and catch a couple while the tide is coming in.

I think I will start at the 90 degree angle on the dock near the LT river (good advise cthonker). I will make sure I have two rods set up. One with chunks and the other with sandworms.

If anyone is in the area at that time give me a wave. I will be wearing a black visor hat and grey shirt.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobO its great in that corner at night time, best bet, bring a coleman lantern or a battery powered lantern, a back up flashlight, a good long net and bring bugspray. THe bugs down there are crazy at night unless theres a nice slight wind, i always wear shorts with soccer socks so i pull them up high and its not as hot as sweat pants. Good luck you'll do good there. Catch a couple hours of incoming tide, slack tide and a couple hours of outgoing, those are usually my favorite. Catching both tides. Please bring a camera and take some pictures w/e you catch, even if its a striper, blue, catfish, or maybe a lonely cougar walking the dock lookin for some company HAHA Razz
RobO

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: A cougar.... Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, especially about the bugs. I wouldn't mind seeing a cougar or two walking the dock. That sure would break up the monotony of staring at your POLE, waiting for something to nibble on your worm.....

Do a lot of guys go fishing there at night? Ever heard of any trouble there at night with guys who maybe had a few too many?

My pal I was going to go with may have to bail. Sad

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: A cougar.... Reply with quote

RobO wrote:
Thanks for the advice, especially about the bugs. I wouldn't mind seeing a cougar or two walking the dock. That sure would break up the monotony of staring at your POLE, waiting for something to nibble on your worm.....

Do a lot of guys go fishing there at night? Ever heard of any trouble there at night with guys who maybe had a few too many?

My pal I was going to go with may have to bail. Sad

It gets a good crowd at times. Never had a problem there.
asianfisher

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: A cougar.... Reply with quote

It can get roudy but all in good times but can be quiet at times too. Can also meet some funny cool people down there going tonight i think was gonna bring the boat but going from kayaks cause it was great last time and cant take boat to where i want to go maybe see someone going to be asian and red kayak...
cthonkerheaven

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its rowdy, its a good rowdy, meaning people walking by offering you beer or advice, just talkin about everything. Many people love that spot because its the best spot on the dock and there are some benches near by. i've fished there many times alone at 1,2,3am and have been fine, i've been there with buddies too. Its a fun spot to go, nothing you have to worry about, If i were you, i would DEF. bring a lantern/flash light, bug spray and if you can, buy those little bells that you can clip on the end of your pole, we use those or glow sticks, its a life saver. You know staring up at the pole, your neck throbbin and starting to cramp, and then all of a sudden you blink and you think you saw your tip move but it was your imagination HAHA, just go prepared, bring some drinks and some food and just relax. Its very peaceful and relaxin. I've fallen asleep many times out there fishing thats why i set my drag so low so i dont lose any poles, just be careful about falling asleep, one of those cougars might get a hand on you and you might wake up naked with your clothes in the water and all your fishing stuff gone Razz haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: