CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: CT RIVER 5/16 CT-OUTDOORS EVENT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justin Tralli

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: CT RIVER 5/16 CT-OUTDOORS EVENT Reply with quote

Fished with NickP saturday in the CT Outdoors event on the River. All of last week we were on amazing fish. From all my years of fishing the River, I have never had four practice trips in a row where we caught so many quality fish in ALL different places. I knew guys would catch them but going into the tournament I had very high hopes and lots of confidence we could pull off the win. At least I felt that were were on the winning fish.

But as most tournaments go, especially on the River, whatever can go wrong will go wrong. The first spot we pulled up on was bone dry. The lunar tides had pulled so much water out of the lower half of the River our fish pulled out and scattered. After the first three casts and Nick and I didnt have a three pounder I knew we were in trouble. We had two options and I figured I would revert back to my old stratagey of River fishing and do the milk runs of milk runs. Fish fast, burn gas and fish as many spots that I have in my head.

For such a drastic change in the water level in two days, we did ok I thought. We ended up with 8 fish for 15 pounds. We culled almost all day but couldnt find the bigger fish. We covered almost 15 miles of river with an aluminum boat throwing everything but the sink at them.

I was going to hit the Salmon but with the amount of time left, it was a gamble I wish we had made. I know the winning bag came out of there and I was disappointed in myself for not going with my instincts.

I felt bad for Nick because this was his first big river tournament and we blew our brains out... What can we do......

The next tournament will be different..... We plan on winning Smile
Tmac

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep these tides have been ridiculous,low tide is now low low tide,have you noticed in the mouth that rock piles which were always hazards underwater are now very visible above water,I was wondering why I guess its a lunar thing.Justin Im guessing the tourny started at low tide?
Justin Tralli

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep and it just kept running out... It didnt turn around until about 1:50 in essox
Johnny Skeeter

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job dude,i can rememeber plenty of time that happened to us..it sucks for sure. But i know you,you'll figure them out. Perhpas we can reunite this season and "see what happens"/man oh man we where unbeatable when we were on in our prime years of "TD" Wink
Johnny
Johnny Skeeter

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many boats showed up J??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: