CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: CT River Help!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brandon72801

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: CT River Help! Reply with quote

I know this question has been asked before, but I need some more reassurance. A buddy and I plan to fish the river this Tuesday for the first time. We fish mainly C-Wood and lakes in that part of the state, but I seem to have some mental block (fear) about getting out on the river. I have an 18ft bass boat and plan to hit the river around noon. We fish mainly for bass, but would love a shot at some pike.

I'm looking for info (clarification) that would ease my mind such as:

Best launch and parking.
Areas to head to (coves?)
Tidal concerns.
Navigation concerns.

Any other caveats to be aware of?

Thanks in advance!
Eagle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from bethel you might as well put in at wethersfield cove; I don't think there are docks anywhere right now, so the cove is the easiest.

Water is high, not flood stage but high. I went by crow point cove Friday and it looked like it was accessible and people say there are big fish there, but I don't know if I would suggest you try on your first trip

You can also get up past the Farmington, and all the way to Bart's boat launch on the Farmington right now. Be real careful north of the 140 bridge, it gets shallow and rocky quick.
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle wrote:
Coming from bethel you might as well put in at wethersfield cove; I don't think there are docks anywhere right now, so the cove is the easiest.

You need a permit to launch in Wethersfield Cove. You'd be better off launching at Haddam Meadows or Salmon River, which are always free, or at one of the Riverfront Recapture launches, which will be free until Memorial Day weekend. The river downriver from Hartford is deeper and easier to navigate than the river upriver. I like launching from Haddam Meadows and heading downriver to the Connecticut Yankee Atomic Power Plant Canal, Salmon River Cove and Chapman Pond. A lot of fishermen head upriver from there in search of northern pike. The river is prone to having shallow sandbars just upriver from the mouths of canals and coves. It's best to enter them from the downriver side, especially at low tide. Here's a link to the NOAA tide tables for Connecticut:

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/tide_predictions.shtml?gid=57

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A permit is not needed; single day launch passes are available.

And not that I would advise NOT getting one, but they don't really check before the docks go in, as far as I know.
brandon72801

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle wrote:

And not that I would advise NOT getting one, but they don't really check before the docks go in, as far as I know.

Where can you purchase a single day launch pass?
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wethersfield sells the day passes to those who arrive after the pass guy in the am. I don't think he starts showing up 'til closer to Memorial Day.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Aroz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brandon72801 wrote:
Eagle wrote:

Where can you purchase a single day launch pass?

You wont need a pass yet - they dont start charging until memorial day. The only bad thing (depending on the size of your boat) is the docks arent in the water to launch yet
Just4fun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its your first time launching at Wethersfield cove, it can be tricky,...it's best to take your time and watch someone else (who knows the place,...) go first!! Pay attention to exactly where they back in and how far they need to go before they get enough depth to launch a boat!! Sometimes when the water is up in the parking lot,..your front tires will need to be all the way into the water!!!

Rocky hill is close to there and has a very nice ramp,...and is probably not charging until Memorial weekend either!!
Rivernut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Haddam discharge canal Reply with quote

This is all you need to hit the motherload for bass and pike

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac77/Rivernut_photos/null-7.jpg

Last edited by Rivernut on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Haddam discharge canal Reply with quote

Rivernut wrote:
This is all you need to hit the motherload for bass and pike:

Come on, you just gave up the double super-secret, speak of it you die location! Laughing
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
jimbojonez

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with the haddam meadows or salmon cove launches. there are more pike (per cubic foot) in the stretch of the CT river from haddam to hartford than anywhere in southern new england.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Nuke plant canal is a community hole and has been since at least the 1980's when we fished Bassin' America tournaments there. We used to only be able to fish in it a couple hundred feet. now you can fit a whole tournament in there. The real "secret" spot is the unused marina basin that's not on the chart and only accessible when the tide's up - or in my boat at almost any tide Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: