CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: CT. RIVER INFO PLEASE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmorjoe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: CT. RIVER INFO PLEASE Reply with quote

I have never fished the Ct. river; is Haddam a good place to launch the boat? Any info on the river would be appreciated...tides, current, things to look for, things to avoid. Any info would be appreciated; thanks in advance. cmorjoe
Johnny Skeeter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try www.saltwatertides.com
then follow the prompts to ct river.
River has been off a bit this year so far but plenty of big pike try jusdt north of haddam island (the big island just north of the ramp) fish the north side on the flats big spinnerbaits and flukes in loud colors should do it for toothy critter.
Good luck
Just4fun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The river can be a daunting place until you get the hang of it (personally, I'm still trying for that!...) Haddam is a good place to launch because it's free,...but it is a zoo on the weekends most of the time! Just don't be in a hurry if you go! There is another free launch at Salmon river cove,..on the other side of the river just to the south of Haddam meadows. It also gets busy on the weekends,..but not quite as bad as Haddam. Most of the folks a Salmon River at least seem to know how to launch and trailer a boat!! Wink
The other advantage to Salmon river launch is that you can just venture up into Salmon river cove for the fishing which takes you off the main river so you're not getting bounced around by ocean yachts and speed boats all the time!

On weekdays,..everywhere is probably gonna be okay for you! Also there is a brand new launch (newly remade..) in Rocky Hill that is very nice. They charge on the weekends,..but weedays it's free and it's kind of a secret that it's open,..so it's not very crowded at all whenever I've been there recently!

There is a lot of shallow water on the river that can sneak up on you suddenly,..so make sure you pay attention to the red and green buoys as well as the tides! There is a deepwater channel on the river that runs all the way from Hartford to the sound....You navigate it basically by aiming your boat at the big red (or sometimes green) markers on the shore,..they are positioned so that you will see the next one just as you get close to any of them! The rule is "Red, Right, Return"....which means that you keep the red markers on your right, as you are heading upriver ("returning"). Green markers are just the opposite.
Also as a general rule,..rivers usually will run deep on the outside of bends and shallow on the inside bends! This is real fundamental stuff that most folks already know,..but I'm mentioning it just in case!!Wink
cmorjoe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: THANKS GUYS FOR THE INFO! Reply with quote

I am sure going to try that area (I have just got to get the courage up), I guess I am getting sort of old for too much excitment. Guess thats why I stick with Lake Housatonic. I have fished there for over 40 years and although it isn't as good as alot of the places I see posted at least I know the area. THANKS AGAIN cmorjoe
Just4fun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMJ,..I'd be glad to hook up with you sometime and show you the little that I know about the river. Shoot me PM if you want and we'll set something up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: