CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: CT River-middletown/portland area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pElf28p

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: CT River-middletown/portland area Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, First time post here. I have interest in fishing the middletown/portland area of the CT river from shore. I do mostly salt water fishing and I am very inexperience when it comes to fishing the CT river in the summer months. I was wondering if anyone could help me understand what might be running in the CT river in the evenings around this time of year (i.e. cat fish, bass, walleye, pike, ect). Also, any suggested methods would be helpful. Thought it might be fun to take a few evening trips after work. I don't really care what I catch just want to have some fun and start learning about fishing the CT river. Thanks for any help offered.
-Joe
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, the CT River around the Middletown/Portland area is fairly productive for catfish, pike, carp most of the time. In early spring the stripers are usually running the river before they generally hang out at the shoreline during the warmer months so most species are there most/all the time and the stripers /shad are usually a seasonal run. Basically dunk a line and fish because you never know.

Jim
pElf28p

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post Jim. What do you think about small mouth bass in that area during the warmer months? I'd like to target them if at all possible, just not sure where they like to hide during this time of year.
-Joe
DV

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've caught small mouth as south as the 84 bridge in hartford, IMO past that the water gets to warm with not enough current to hold them.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe if you want to get into smallies take DV's advice and go north of Hartford on the CT River like Enfield down and you'll catch enough smallies to your satisfaction.

Jim
MikeD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joe, I'm new to the forum and river. I recently moved to the area your trying to fish. Haven't done much in that area I've been mostly Haddam and south with decent luck. I'm in the same boat just lookin to have fun and learn the river. I'm looking to explore my neck of the woods soon and will let you know if I have any luck. I fish the bottom mostly, still learning river fishing. Good luck exploring.-MIke
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: