CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: CT River out of Hamburg cove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phish

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: CT River out of Hamburg cove Reply with quote

hey guys. I am having some work done on my trailer at Reynolds on Saturday and figure I'll tool around the river for a few hours while they work on it. Any suggestions for that area? I have only had my boat in the river once and loved it, but I have to admit to knowing very little about how to fish the river. Last time I was there I went up into the Salmon a little bit. Is the backwater at the mouth pretty navigable? I didn't want to venture in there with no knowledge and not knowing what the tide situation was. Any pointers at all for down there whether its for stripers, smallies or largemouth would be great. I know there are plenty of schoolie stripers to target in Hamburg Cove, but I think I'd like to venture out on the river some more.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phish, yes the Salmon River is navigable as the mouth is plenty deep but gets pretty shallow the further you go back. As long as you follow the channel markers that are there you should be good to go. These markers are poles or sticks in the water indicating where the deepest parts are. Going in from the mouth the channel kind of S's it's way to the back. Good luck!
If you don't mind me asking, what was wrong with your trailer?

Jim
Phish

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. About the trailer, the breaks are not disengaging at times. Makes it a little tough to back up. They actually locked up as I was backing into Bantam on Saturday and it dumped the boat in prematurely. Luckilly I was deep enough to have not dropped it on the pavement. It's really strange. Sometimes it works just fine...other times the brakes are clearly stuck and won't let me back up unless I gun it. I've found that if I go back and forth a little, stick in in neutral I can get them to release. Very strange.

Just to clarify about the Salmon, I knew I could go up the river, I was actually asking about the backwater area down near the mouth on the east side that looks like a pond and has a narrow opening. Kinda runs along the road. I didn't want to chance going in there without knowing what I was doing.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phish thanks for the trailer info, would have sucked to see your boat hit the pavement! Shocked Sorry, I didn't realize you were asking about that little stream near the mouth. Becareful going back there as it gets shallow quick but also watch your tide level as you can get stuck back there due to the shallow entrance, then you would have to wait for the incoming tide again in order to get out.

Jim
Phish

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much, Jim. I looked at some aerial photos of the area and see what you mean. Looks like I need to start learning the tide thing. I'm really liking the river. Sure, it was only one trip, but my wife and I really had a great time out there.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phish like everyone has mentioned the river is a very diverse resource where you never know what you're going to catch but if you are going to start fishing the many skinny waters along the main river learn the tide movements. Because the one time you do go way back to fish a stream you may find yourself in for a very LOOOONG wait if you happen to get stuck due to the water level at low tide. Do what I do when scouting out new locations to fish.......go to the spots at extreme low tide and see how the water level is so you can see if you will get stuck or not and how much of a water margin you have then at that point you will know whether you will have to be out of that location when the tide starts to recede.
Phish

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great advice. Much appreciated!
Tmac

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: River Reply with quote

Places on river you can be stuck that I know of for sure,way in the back of the Salmon near stream as mentioned,Wrights cove,Chapmans,and theres one up north that is hard to get in impossible to get out.I get myself trapped on purpose so my wife doesnt expect me home lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: