CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: CT River Power Plant Canal 7/10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbehuniak09

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: CT River Power Plant Canal 7/10 Reply with quote

On Wednesday Bob and I decided to meet at the Salmon River Launch at 6:30am. There was a chance of rain and supposedly a light wind. We launched the Way More Better at about 7am and headed right for the canal. It was my first on any part of the CT River so I was excited. Bob promised to get me on some fish so we pretty much headed straight to the back of the canal. It was real slow going for a while. Bob got a couple hits on a Horny Toad while I got one or two on a Zoom Trick Worm. I switched over to a wacky Senko and picked up the first fish of the day at 9:54am.

I had put a steel leader on the setup with the senko because I was told there were many pike and bowfin in the canal. Naturally I expected every fish I caught to be one of the two. At 10:02 I got another, nicer LMB right along the weedline on the senko.

This was exactly what happened the last time Bob and I fished, I caught the first two and then he kicked my ass the rest of the day.. Sure enough, Bob caught the next four LMB on a senko between 10:14-10:47

That last fish was probably the lunker. While fighting it, Bob claimed it felt "very Bowfinny" so I rushed to get the net for nothing. Laughing Just before Bob caught the "Bowfinny bass" he had told me that when we would see a group of fry surface that it was likely bowfin and the mama would be aggressive in protecting them. So I saw a disruption on the surface and threw the horny toad past it when I hit that area let the toad sink. As soon as it starts sinking, the line goes tight then immediately loose. I didn't even get a chance to attempt a hookset. My 50# braid was bit through in less than a second. Finally I believed the power of the bowfin teeth and put a steel leader on my other setup.

Shorthly after that, I got another LMB.

Things got real quiet for about an hour when Bob decided to start heading back out towards the mouth of the canal and work the sides along the way. The wind was really picking up making it hard to keep us in one spot. At about noon, Bob yells that he seriously needs the net this time and after a failed attempt, I net this decent sized pike.

It wasn't very long but it sure was fat. Bob achieved one of his goals and got this pike in on a senko with no steel leader!

After this I boated one more small LMB on an all white Horny Toad and at 2pm we headed off the water to get some lunch. We decided to call it a day because of the wind and the storm moving in but all in all it was a great day out on the water. Thanks Bob!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job guys! Sounds like a fun time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: