CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: CT River Shore Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BassLatrone

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: CT River Shore Area Reply with quote

Been fishing around 5 times from different areas up and down the river bank in the Upper Suffield CT/ Windsor Locks Ct area. Tried everything from crawlers to senkos, to jitterbugs. Usually this area will get yah at least a bass every time down, just a little early in the season? Also, is it too early for topwater?
PECo

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite saying about topwater fishing is:
Quote:
It's too early for topwater. . . until it's not!

Regarding the Connecticut River, river herring (i.e., blueback herring and alewives) are running, as well as American and hickory shad. Remember, there's a statewide emergency closure on the river herring fishery. If you catch one, release it immediately. If you're not sure what the fish you caught is and you intend to keep it, pull out an Angler's Guide or ask someone. If the fish is small (e.g., less than 12 inches long and skinny) and/or has no spot or only one behind the gill plate, it's probably a river herring.

A big part of fishing success or failure on the river is timing. You might have caught the wrong tide or wrong barometric pressure. Keep trying; you'll get them.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top water is staring early this year. Fished Candy today and started with a bone spook. Had three blow ups but no hook ups. Didn't last long but it's starting.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJay (aka Jason) got a couple of largemouth bass with a Horny Toad last Saturday at Mashapaug and a couple yesterday at Crescent in Newington.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: to early for topwater? Reply with quote

Well, I would have to disagree strongly with you! I was out this past Tuesday 5/12. My buddy got a 29"12lbs keeper on a white pencil Popper ( Lloyd's lures ) and I got a 39" 24lbs keeper on the white pencil Popper too! Tuesday the wind was bad and the water was choppy, keeping the fish down. Pic to come

[/img]
PECo

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, nobody said that it's too early for topwater stripers. NWDarkcloud (aka Bob) and I recently had a 30 fish day on the lower Housy where all but one were caught topwater with pre-rigged tandem hook white Sluggos, including 28 and 30 inch keepers. But I always think largemouth bass when someone says "topwater".

Were you throwing the pencil poppers during the day or in the dark?

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: