CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: CT River Sturgeon!!! Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toptech

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site has gone down hill so much from when it started...I am surprised to see that Billy has been jumped on so heavily for this. Glad to see the support he is getting also. Not like he kept the fish. It was a situation that could not be won.

Dont worry Billy...in the situation you did the right thing. It sucks none the less that a fish like that had to die...you show in your posts that you arnt happy with the outcome...thats enough for me...should be enough for EVERYONE.

The only thing I would say is read up a little more on the regs...but its not like you could ever know every reg out there...no harm, no foul...lesson learned....tight lines buddy.

Im most pissed that the guy couldnt speak english...That should be the focus of any negative debate.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phish wrote:
Mature response, Billy. Lesson learned. Violence is never a good idea. You may have a bat, he may have a gun. Just keep an angler guide in your pocket and know the laws and you can pull it out and show the next moron that hassles you that he is breaking the law (not that he will care).

BTW, a couple of pounds is a small sturgeon, not a large one. Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuCwhPCYuSA&feature=related

Haha, yea i knew i was pushing it when i said large. That fish in the video was ridiculous.
And for hoppy, i could go back and forth with you all day long, but were never going to get anywere. This is a fishing fourm, not a place place to argue back and forth over something that cant be changed. Its over and done with and in the end, I made a bad decision, is the world going to end because of it? No. Thanks for the responses everyone,
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone caught a sturgeon (from a boat) near the DEP docks a few weeks ago. I think they've been planning a comeback with the bowfin.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
watthe555

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol i think the guy was polish. my grandpa went fishing back and kept a small sturgeon like that and he didnt know it was illegal. the guy probably didnt know the fishing rules of ct
damage inc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool story. Ya did good kid. Now you know what you should do next time. It's a shame these people come into this country and get everything they want. Even the poor kids fish! Confused

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damage inc wrote:
Cool story. Ya did good kid. Now you know what you should do next time. It's a shame these people come into this country and get everything they want. Even the poor kids fish! Confused

My parents are both immigrants from Poland aswell as my grandparents. I visited the country 5 times and its not entirely the persons fault. The culture there around fishing is very different from the US they keep almost every fish they catch because they do not have many regulations or information on fishery conservation, its just the way people there view fishing and they are raised to bring fish home when they catch them. But its nice to know that there is Sturgeon in the river and you have a chance to get one on your line

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok all i have to say is i have been fishing for 37 years and never caught a sturgeopn,hell i have only seen a live one once and it was on the river..very small too. So congrats kid on the catch it is truly a ONCE IN A LIFETIME THING SO ENJOY IT! As far as the guy who stole your fish,well it is not your fault,people are always trying to take advantage of one another these days so dont let it bother you..keep on fishin...geesh hoper take it easy buddy...
Johnny
CTfirefighter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i,m not a frequent poster here but, under the circumstance's i beleive the right thing was done...theres to many wack jobs running around these days to get into a no win arguement over a fish of any kind...and with that said, i think the DEP should at least be called and a complaint made about the guy who hassled you..

and i also beleive that not only are sturgeon illegal to keep, but your not supposed to even take them out of the water to release them.
Justin Tralli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow people need lives....

CT RIVER
Every Tuesday Night @ 5 p.m.
EAST HARTFORD LAUNCH
$10 Per Person
Winner Take All!
dcfryxell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people who fish ct waters need to know the laws and regulations associated with local fisheries. there is no excuse.
hoppy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcfryxell wrote:
people who fish ct waters need to know the laws and regulations associated with local fisheries. there is no excuse.

True story.
TravelingSeas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcfryxell wrote:

Knowing the regulations is secondary to what happened and has no bearing on someone harrassing a kid and forcefully taking something from him. Nor does it excuse berating a kid for not going on a violent defense against a grown man over a freaking fish.

Don't worry brother. If I were your age and in your shoes and some maniac came at me trying to take a fish I'd let him have it as well. It's not your responsibility to risk your life or bodily harm against a poacher. Quite easy for folks behind a screen to be armchair quarterbacking.

When I used to fish from the jetties I'd be approached by folks to keep a fish I had caught and I always answer no as I release everything I catch. The conversation always ends there though as I find few would think it was worth an arguement with me about. Wink
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm a little late on this subject, but I always find talking about sturgeon interesting.
It's funny, I thought you were someone else when I read this story. I was down the Glastonbury side of the ferry about the same time of year when a younger kid caught a sturgeon. Smaller than 2ft though. I notified fisheries immediately. Not because he was doing anything wrong. You can't help getting a sturgeon on your line. But because a sturgeon that small IS rare in the river. More common up around 3ft, some even up to 5.
To shed some light on the situation, in the state of CT, the sturgeon is very protected. Punishable by fine of up to 25000. No I didn't mistakenly put another zero in there. 25 thousand dollars.
According to DEP, you're not supposed to even remove the fish out of the water. Not to unhook it, not to snap a photo, just snip the line. They're not gonna fine you that much for releasing the fish. But if you were to call the DEP tip line, for being in possession of a dead sturgeon, the "foreigner" coulda had a serious debt to pay.
One number I always keep in my phone is the DEP tip line. You did the right thing for a spur of the moment reaction. For future reference, read up on your angler's guide. Or keep on in your car. Don't hesitate to call on someone you know is breaking the rules because it can ruin it for everyone else in the long run.
Violence is always the answer if you're Chuck Norris. But for a kid your age, there's no reason to put yourself in harm's way over a fish. Stay outta trouble, and more importantly, stay safe. You live and you learn.

And keep wettin those lines

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: