CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Daiwa SP Minnow Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aroz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Daiwa SP Minnow Reply with quote

Anyone have any luck with the Daiwa SP minnows for stripers? If so, what color scheme did you find was the most successful? I was thinking of giving them a try, but couldnt decide which color to go with.

Thank you in advance for any input.
SaltyVeins

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do some reading I'm sure you'll find the answer to your question in a resounding yes. As for colors... any of them. The new colors for this year are all pretty sweet. I know further north (canal and other parts of MA) people swear by the mackerel patterns. Can't go wrong with the shiner color. Just make sure to change out split rings and hooks.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any color works

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get a good deal on Rapala Flat Rap FLR-10 or FLR-16 then I'd say go with that.

Caught a 30 1/2" 11 1/2 pounder with a Pearl Grey Shiner FLR-16 in December last year. Caught close to 30 up to 21" 6 pounds during the November 2012 run with an Original Pearl Shad FLR-10 on a lighter setup.
Aroz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaltyVeins wrote:
If you do some reading I'm sure you'll find the answer to your question in a resounding yes. As for colors... any of them. The new colors for this year are all pretty sweet. I know further north (canal and other parts of MA) people swear by the mackerel patterns. Can't go wrong with the shiner color. Just make sure to change out split rings and hooks.

Sorry, maybe this is a newb question but i'm just curious as to why the need to change out the split rings and hooks that come with a new lure? are the ones that come with the lure very weak or have issues that i am unaware of? Do the stock hooks become dull very fast? Any insight on this is appreciated
Aroz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
If you can get a good deal on Rapala Flat Rap FLR-10 or FLR-16 then I'd say go with that.

Caught a 30 1/2" 11 1/2 pounder with a Pearl Grey Shiner FLR-16 in December last year. Caught close to 30 up to 21" 6 pounds during the November 2012 run with an Original Pearl Shad FLR-10 on a lighter setup.

Thank you for the info - i'll actually be at the CT fishing/hunting show at the Hartford convention center tomorrow so i'll take a look if anyone has FLR-10's or FLR-16's at a good price
SaltyVeins

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original split rings and hooks are too weak for decent sized fish. It's pretty common for lures to come with cheap hooks/split rings. If you're only catching schoolies then you're probably fine. A popular replacement are the VMC 9626ps 4x trebles. Good split rings can be tougher to find - owner makes good ones, but they're expensive. Wolverine or Roscos are good if you can find them.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Owner Hyper wire split rings and you can get them on Ebay cheap. As far as Rapala vs SP the SP will outcast the Rapala by a mile!!!!!! I caught about 70 fish a night on the SP and have witnesses to prove it. Caught many many keepers above 30"!!!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF brought up a point. Plastics cast farther than the Rapala balsa. But I'd still have a FLR-10 or FLR-16 with you depending on the action.

FLR-10 is on the light side for light and medium light salt. FLR-16 is on the heavier side for medium and medium heavy salt.
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As FF also said, Ebay is the place to go to find the best deals in fishing gear. Amazon is another one.

Just remember, if you're gonna purchase on Ebay, gotta have a PayPal account.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapalas typically dont need anything replaced like the Diawa do. Id say carry both cause they both work great but when you need to get it out where the fish are the Diawa will get it there!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I was doing searching for good deals on Ebay for Rapala lures for somebody last night, I came across a few Buy It Now listings for 2 Rapala Flat Rap FLR-16 for a great price!
Sea Duck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
I use Owner Hyper wire split rings and you can get them on Ebay cheap. As far as Rapala vs SP the SP will outcast the Rapala by a mile!!!!!! I caught about 70 fish a night on the SP and have witnesses to prove it. Caught many many keepers above 30"!!!

I'll never talk!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:

Anyone know what size owner hyper wire split rings will fit on an SP minnow? At Cabelas the smallest they have is a #6

Also was going to go with a VMC 9626 ps treble hook. What size would you recommend 2/0 or 3/0?
SaltyVeins

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm using size 4 or 5 split rings, and 2/0 trebles. Some guys put bigger trebles on the front, and sometimes no treble at all on the back if they're just going after stripers and not blues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: