CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Danger of Heavy Snow on Ice. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Danger of Heavy Snow on Ice. Reply with quote

Hi,

The following is excerpts from the NISDI and Minnesota DNR sites.

Heavy Snow on ice causes the ice shelf to bend and crack !
Water comes up to form "Real SLUSH" under the snow.

"Real SLUSH" occurs regardless of air temperature and does NOT and will NEVER occur from melting snow.

"Slushy Conditions" occurs from melting snow on top of ice.
Unfortunately -> Water from melting snow can percolate down thru the ice and weaken it !

Above the cracks, in the bent ice, will form an anomoly known as an "Air Hole".
"VERY DAGEROUS" and can be small or as much as 30 feet across and thin at the edges.

Stay Safe Exclamation
SeaDog1
androux

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fish a lake in WNY and it will do this, fished there twice, both times, it was 3 inches crusty snow, and inch of water, slush and about 12" of ice underneath. The whole stratum is about 18" of water at different freezing states, but you would find wide open holes at odd places. The holes wouldn't be big, almost like an auger hole, but there really wasn't much around the holes to indicate any ice depth, due to the snow cover. Sorta disconcerting as you walk out and see a random open hole when it's 20 deg.

Snowmobilers keep a keen eye on this, and they know the lakes that this happens to. Walking is one thing, but doing 50 mph and hitting a weak spot is a quick death at best. They know this and avoid those lakes, so don't always sneer at the sleds.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool post but I wonder if that is when the temp gets above 32 degrees?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damage inc wrote:
No, the ice does this even when it's really cold, BE CAREFUL, If we had really cold temps this week it would refreeze all that stuff, but we dont, so be really careful, I would stick to places that had thicker ice, especially after the warm rain tomorrow! -Dan
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pikePERSUADER1 wrote:
damage inc wrote:
No, the ice does this even when it's really cold, BE CAREFUL, If we had really cold temps this week it would refreeze all that stuff, but we dont, so be really careful, I would stick to places that had thicker ice, especially after the warm rain tomorrow! -Dan

Thumbs Up Absolutely correct Dan !

SeaDog1
babycubcatcher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt this can happen and if you shoveled yesterday, you know this snow has some heft. That being said, I went out yesterday on 8-10 inches of ice with 1-2 ft drifts and there was no slush anywhere under the snow. once you drilled some water was forced up through your hole and that made slush, but i wouldn't worry too much until the warm up happens. I did decide against going to a lake with only 6 or so inches and more snow, but out here in the NW corner, we only got like 1 foot and many places have 8+ inches.
icefishingnewbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am planning on hitting a pond tuesday that has 5-8 inches of ice and 2-3 feet of snow do you think it will be ok? or will i fall through
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icefishingnewbie wrote:
I am planning on hitting a pond tuesday that has 5-8 inches of ice and 2-3 feet of snow do you think it will be ok? or will i fall through

Now that's a really dumb question Exclamation

No one and I mean No one can give you an answer to that !
No one has any idea what the heavy snow may have done to the ice !
What was ....was -> What it is now is UNKNOWN Exclamation
And maybe even worst once the rain comes !

Use some common sense -> Go with a buddy and check that ice every few feet and I mean the ice below the slush !

Cheech ! Rolling Eyes
Thought you proclaimed you where an ice expert !
old perch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good reminder.
Thanks for posting!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Danger of Heavy Snow on Ice. Reply with quote

Re-posting the following !

SeaDog1 wrote:
Hi,

The following is excerpts from the NISDI and Minnesota DNR sites.

Heavy Snow on ice causes the ice shelf to bend and crack !
Water comes up to form "Real SLUSH" under the snow.

"Real SLUSH" occurs regardless of air temperature and does NOT and will NEVER occur from melting snow.

"Slushy Conditions" occurs from melting snow on top of ice.
Unfortunately -> Water from melting snow can percolate down thru the ice and weaken it !

Above the cracks, in the bent ice, will form an anomoly known as an "Air Hole".
"VERY DAGEROUS" and can be small or as much as 30 feet across and thin at the edges.

Stay Safe Exclamation
SeaDog1
damage inc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 10"-12" of ice on most of the bodies of water in western ct. Do you really thing 18" of snow is enough to give us problems. Been out there with similar amounts and did not have an issue. I'm glad your helping us be aware of this but I think they are talking about "Buffalo snow" like 3'-7' clips!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ps I'm not being a wise ass. I wast to be as safe as everyone else out there and I'm glad you shared this valuable information.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damage inc wrote:
We have 10"-12" of ice on most of the bodies of water in western ct. Do you really thing 18" of snow is enough to give us problems. Been out there with similar amounts and did not have an issue. I'm glad your helping us be aware of this but I think they are talking about "Buffalo snow" like 3'-7' clips!

Hi,
The answer to your question is "YES" ....the danger can exist !

"Ice, as is well known, does not form uniformly, anywhere !"
Example is West Hill Pond which has many underwater springs, which can cause thin spots.

Bottom line -> better to know then be ignorant of such dangers that can exist !
damage inc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out on Putnam Lake in New York (right over the New. Fairfield /NY border) about a 1/2 mile from ball pond. The ice had a good 8" of snow on it. Wherever I walked there was slush on the ice. There was a good 12" of ice under the snow/slush. But you can tell the weight was present. That's why there was so much slush. I wonder what the cold single diget/teens will do to all of this "crap" overnight? Any thoughts? Going to Bantam for the Pike tournament tomorrow morning early!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damage inc wrote:
Went out on Putnam Lake in New York (right over the New. Fairfield /NY border) about a 1/2 mile from ball pond. The ice had a good 8" of snow on it. Wherever I walked there was slush on the ice. There was a good 12" of ice under the snow/slush. But you can tell the weight was present. That's why there was so much slush. I wonder what the cold single diget/teens will do to all of this "crap" overnight? Any thoughts? Going to Bantam for the Pike tournament tomorrow morning early!

I am figuring it will be a mess for a time until we get a good freeze again and it makes it hard white ice. The weather says that should happen after next weekend, looks like a big temp drop again. I hate this crap , I had the quad on our lake all week (peach) and now not sure if it's to messy to use.
On fishing, how is Put lake treating guys lately ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: