CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Day of the Slime Dart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Day of the Slime Dart Reply with quote

Member mikeyinstfd (aka Mike) and I hit Mondo Pond starting around 11am and fished til 3pm.

As we started making our way around the main pond, we started by playing topwater with Shallow Shad Raps. I was using a Hot Tiger SSR-5 and Mike was using a Perch SSR-5. Pickerel were the ones following mostly with an occasional bluegill. I lost a pickerel and Mike landed 1.

Later I decided to switch over to a Glass Minnow HJ-6. The retrieve that had the fish going was giving the lure 2 to 5 jerks before pausing for a few seconds. Once I landed 2 pickerel Mike switched over to a Glass Minnow HJ-8. Both of us were into pickerel whenever we'd hit the right spot at both ponds.

I also got into crappie no bigger than 8" and Mike got a few small but chunky bass around 13" 1 1/2 pounds.

While Mike was just starting to retrieve his HJ-8 after the cast, he got an aggressive hit. He felt not just weight but a pickerel shaking. Pretty soon the pickerel started taking line out but then spit the hook. Mike said he had the drag set too loose which is what made him loose the fish. He had 10 pound mono on a spinning reel. From my experience with bigger pickerel, I'd say the fish he lost had to be a 4+ pound gator.

Total was Mike with 3 bass and 5 pickerel and me with 4 pickerel and 3 crappie. Most pickerel were in the 12 to 15 inch range while one of mine was a chunky 21" 2 1/2 pounder.

mikeyinstfd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, don't lip the pickeral!
Man, I really want to go back and see what was peeling my line off.
Only caught 2 bass but both fatties.
Looked at my logs and I caught 2 pickeral all year before yesterday. Felt good getting out there.
Cd662

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike, I got your message, I got my phone wet so it's been acting stupid. Great report, glad you guys had fun. I never had much luck at Mondo Pond during this late in the season but I always figured there was potential since some of that thick weed cover dies away. Keep at it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: