CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Dealing with Dogs? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NSGSplatmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Dealing with Dogs? Reply with quote

Hey folks, new to the site, and I mostly registered to pose this question. How do you guys deal with dogs? Since I do a lot of my fishing from banks, there are a finite number of sufficiently cleared places to fish on a given pond or lake. A lot of times this public space is shared by a a lot of people - other fisherment, runners, hikers, and people walking their dogs. Diversity is good, and it's nice to see people outdoors.

Unfortunately, I've also dealt with a lot of rowdy dogs lately. They get excited and immediately run over to your bait bucket and start knocking stuff about. I usually don't yell at the dog because the owner is nearby and i don't touch them because firstly, I don't think handling other people's animals firmly is always appropirate, and more importantly, I'm allergic to dogs.

Today I was fishing Lake Mohegan in Fairfield. My dad has not been fishing in years and I wanted to bring him somewhere with a lot of accessibility and diversity in fish (that gamble paid off. No trout, but largemouth bass, black crappie, bluegill, yellow perch, and even a pickeral made appearances). Said lake is apparently big with dog owners, according to some sites, and has a no-leash policy in effect.

All morning, people's dogs would run over, sniff around, etc. I have no problem with that. But frequently the owners were not near by so I just had dogs rummaging around my stuff. At one point I was tying a new hook on (pops did a good job tangling stuff up: now I was doing for him what he used to do for me when I was a kid, so I guess its only fair Wink ) and a golden retriever flies out of no where and runs through my line. Thankfully for the dog I was holding the hook and the line was only 2 pound test, so it broke - any heavier and the dog could have been injured. The owner walked by nonchalatly without even nodding an acknowledgement. The coup de gras was before we left though. We had moved to another part of the bank when three dogs just jump into the water (with our lines in there) and start swimming around. I reeled in quick so I didnt hook the animals. My dad packed up our stuff in disgust and suggested we leave while the owners stood there smiling like idiots, and then had the nerve to complain at US, saying that there was plenty of area of the lake we could fish and they were as entitled to use the lake space as we were. Of course, neither myself or my dad said they weren't allowed to use lakespace, but that it was both inappropriate, rude, and potentially unsafe for the animals to have the owners allowing them to go barging into the water that people were fishing in. They saw us fishing, and instead of going around, they thought their animals had priority. (One woman even said my dad probably doesn't care about dogs - ironic, since he's a veterinarian and has done a great deal for dogs, among many other animals).

Rant aside, what do you guys do in this situation? Do you hold the dog and shoo him away? Do you politely (or not so politely) ask the owners to move on? Or do you move? Either way, I would not suggest fishing the more accessible areas of Lake Mohegan unless you want to potentially deal with idiocy like that. Mad
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yell at the owner and if that doesn't work pull out your flllet knife and gut it.

Justin
pdcrack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would honestly come up with something like "I'm not trying to be rude, but would you please mind moving on a little further so my father and I can fish here? " type of deal. I dont think that is asking to much of anyone. As for the dogs coming to your area, maybe having some doggie treats or something to occupy them would be good? who knows...
pdcrack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass Addict wrote:
yell at the owner and if that doesn't work pull out your flllet knife and gut it.

Shocked jesus.... Shocked

haha.
ploplopfizzfizz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly , u will come across a boat load of tree huggers there. The basically hate fisherman and hunters because they think its cruel. You either have to pack up and move or keep your calm and explain to them.

I have this knack for provoking people into trying to hit me without ever saying much more then "I have to say its very rude blah blah blah". When I speak to people its with a smile and a niceness that must just set people off.

Realistically it sucks but there is nothing u can do unless they are harrassing u verybally or in a physical way.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some pepper spray. Less messy than Addict's method. And legal. If the dog's not on a leash, it's technically a threatening/dangerous situation. Personally, I'd try the nice "Hey, would you mind controlling your dog" approach, but if that doesn't work the pepper spray will. It doesn't do any damage to the dog and it will work. Just make sure it's not pointed back at you before you spray.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say I've had much trouble with this, because I fish almost exclusively from a bass boat these days, but I will say that there should be a leash law in effect in all public areas, as some people as your self are allergic, have fear of dogs, and or don't like dogs, they s*** where ever they please, and who needs to step in that when your trying to enjoy yourself outdoors.

I saw a dog almost get backed over by a boat trailer at a launch ramp, because the owner had him off the leash and fetching tennis balls in the water right on the paved launch area. Some people are too stupid for words, and they don't care. If the area you were in has a no leash law, I would suggest finding another place to fish, and not put yourself in those situstions any more. Or keep a small dish of prestone next to your worm container, next week no more dog! Shocked Shocked

Ok, I'm kidding, don't do that, but I do like the pepper spray idea, not sure what the legal issues may be after a spraying though...........

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! I figured there's not much to be done about it. It just ends up being kind of unfortunate for everyone involved - public space should be just that. I do some running, and when I do, I stay out of people's way, including other runners. Its a courtesy. Plus having dogs around fishing lines is a waiting danger for the dogs. Either way, be careful if you plan on fishing that area. Smile
cobalt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaning towards believing that middle aged women are the most evil things on this planet.
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobalt wrote:
I'm leaning towards believing that middle aged women are the most evil things on this planet.

Menopause is a hell of a thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM
I'm having very good time! Good time for arr!
WishinIWasFishin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...that's a tough one. That's just ridiculous. I wish I had some advice but I don't.

My grandfather got a cool t-shirt the other day, it had a picture of a buck, a bass and a cow and said

"There is plenty of room for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes"
Old standby push button
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WishinIWasFishin wrote:
Wow...that's a tough one. That's just ridiculous. I wish I had some advice but I don't.

My grandfather got a cool t-shirt the other day, it had a picture of a buck, a bass and a cow and said

"There is plenty of room for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes"

So what are you saying? Add dog to the shirt? Shocked Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM
I'm having very good time! Good time for arr!
heavyweight80

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some of that spray from the pet store that deters dogs from chewing and pissing on things because smell irritates them. Try that maybe that will keep them away from you

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im a dog owner as are most of you,it is rude of those people to let there dogs disturb your time fishing,you were there first, you have ever right to be pissed,not at the dog but at its owner, i say bitch em out good and maybe they will learn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy bigbeav's boat!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: