CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Conservation & DEP
Viewing Topic: DEP Canoe & Kayak Safe Paddling Course
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deardianne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: DEP Canoe & Kayak Safe Paddling Course Reply with quote

DEP Boating Division’s
Canoe & Kayak Safe Paddling Course
Friday, April 25, 2008

6:30pm - 8:30pm

Andover Old Firehouse
(Center Street, Andover, CT)

Free of Charge

Pre-Registration Required
Call: Melissa Grenier – 896-0159

Designed for beginning paddlers
slimecoat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deardianne, Do you cover proper and courteous boat launch edicate in your canoe and kayak course?

The reason I ask, is that in the past there has been a lot of negative discussion, on this site and others, about canoe, kayak, and boat users clogging up boat launches.

Now before I get slammed here, I just want to make a few general statements. These statements do not apply to all canoe, kayak, and boat users, but only to a select few that are clueless.

Canoe, kayak, and boat users need to prepare themselves and their craft in the parking area, long before they get up to the launch ramp, not while you have 10 boats lined up behind you that are all ready to go.

I am not going to get started slamming anyone. I just would like to mention a few areas that could use some improvement, that I have personally noticed in the past while at the launch ramp.

There are plenty of us seasoned canoe, kayak, and boat users that are always courteous, and that have a checklist of things we do in the parking area to prepare our boats or yaks for launching. These things are done long before we get near the actual launch ramp, so we do not make the other boaters or yakers waiting behind us, wait for extended periods of time for foolish things that should have been done in the parking area.

Also, another thing to consider is where you park your vehicle to unload your boat, canoe, or kayak.

People need to choose a location that does not impede other boaters loading or unloading larger craft on the actual ramp area. Some ramps are double wide, this is so 2 boaters or yakers can load or unload at the same time, not so you can park in the middle of the ramp taking up both sides. This makes for an ugly situation. Also don't pull up near the ramp to unload your canoe, kayak, or car top boat, cutting in front of all the trucks with boats that are already waiting in line to launch their craft, this makes poeple really angry. Wait in line like everybody else, and while waiting in line, prepare your craft for a smooth and speedy launch.

Sorry if it sems like I'm venting, I am just trying to get some really useful information to the people that can use it, and really need to have it.

I think these things will reduce stress, and lessen confrontations at the launch ramps.

Have a safe and happy boating season. Tight Lines All.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Boat Launch manners Reply with quote

Sounds like your concerns are for ALL boat launch users regardless of what type of vessel they are launching. Boat launch manners is something everyone should practice.

Happy boating,
ploplopfizzfizz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok , Lets talk about how many times Quint and I hit a boat ramp.It takes my brother and I less then 2 mins to back down pop and move.

Now why do u people in Kayaks and canoes have to park your friggin cars on the ramp and when u see a trailered boat you just sit there like everyone else does not exist.

Proper ramp use:
1.Pull into the lot
2. get your gear in order(plug,straps,yotta,yotta,yotta)
3.back down
4.Pop the boat
5.Pull up /park
6.Jump in the boat and go

This goes out to all the people that have to take up the entire ramp Bs`n or the person that just parks on the ramp with no boat on in tow.We have all dealt with these people.Especially in West Haven.
Stay off the ramp or get off the ramp , be courteous to the boaters or the other boaters.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to take your comments seriously with the avatar you have choosen. Perhaps something more suitable would be in order. Consider your audience.
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How annoying!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deardianne,

I agree boat launch manners should be followed by everyone using the launches, but you still haven't answered my question.

Are you and your other seminar givers teaching proper boat launch edicate in your seminars? Yes or No

If not, then please tell me why?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The class "content" is presented by a member of the DEP Boating division. That's not me. I will ask him to speak to the issue,

Happy Paddling to you,
slimecoat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DearDianne,

Thanks for your time and attention to this issue. I think this will prevent many boat launch issues, if people are informed during this seminar, they may keep it in mind as a regular routine.

Slimecoat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Conservation & DEP All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: