CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: depth Finder
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mase2020

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: depth Finder Reply with quote

Okay so I sold my sit in kayak and bought a use Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Laughing
Now that I have done that I am getting closer to pulling the trigger on a depth finder and looking at Humminbird as they make a transducer that fits right into the scupper of my OK. The questions are for people that have a depth finder anyone have one with Down imaging and if so does it make a big difference. Also considering some of the Humminbird lower priced ones like the 560 or 570 anyone have those and can provide feedback looking to spend no more than 300.00 but looking more in the 150.00 range. Thanks Mase.
limeymotors

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a piramax 170 on my kayak. it shows the bottom, temp, and dept. I like it a lot and was under $100. I guess its all about how much you want to spend on the extras and how inportant the extras are to you. -Duncan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: depth Finder Reply with quote

Mase2020 wrote:
Now that I have done that I am getting closer to pulling the trigger on a depth finder and looking at Humminbird as they make a transducer that fits right into the scupper of my OK. The questions are for people that have a depth finder anyone have one with Down imaging and if so does it make a big difference. Also considering some of the Humminbird lower priced ones like the 560 or 570 anyone have those and can provide feedback looking to spend no more than 300.00 but looking more in the 150.00 range. Thanks Mase.

I have a transducer mounting kit for the OK that you could have, Alan. I bought it thinking that I might be able to use it to mount the transducer for my Humminbird 798ci HD SI underneath the hull of my Hobie Pro Angler. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Crying or Very sad Just let me know when you're free and I'll get it to you. I could meet you down in New Britain.

I think the best finder for your OK would be the new Humminbird PiranhaMax 196ci. It has a temperature probe in the transducer and built-in GPS, so it'll give you very basic mapping right out of the box and, more importantly, your speed on the water. If you find that you could use better mapping (e.g., marking spots in the Sound), you could always upgrade the maps. With the coupons you can often get for Cabela's, you could pick one up for less than $200. Heck, if you want to get it before the end of the month, I think I have a $20 off $150 purchase coupon, somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

OR ....Is that ? ....He who has the most toys WINS !

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: depth Finder Reply with quote

Mase2020 wrote:

Hi,

I have a Garmin echo 300c (color) -> Came out new last year -> Dual Beam + Flasher program -> Cost me $180.00 -> Found it perfect for my needs Thumbs Up

Check it out !

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: depth Finder Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I think the best finder for your OK would be the new Humminbird PiranhaMax 196ci. It has a temperature probe in the transducer and built-in GPS, so it'll give you very basic mapping right out of the box and, more importantly, your speed on the water. If you find that you could use better mapping (e.g., marking spots in the Sound), you could always upgrade the maps. With the coupons you can often get for Cabela's, you could pick one up for less than $200. Heck, if you want to get it before the end of the month, I think I have a $20 off $150 purchase coupon, somewhere.

Sorry Phil -> Couldn't resist Very Happy

Toys - Toys - Toys -> We all like our Toys Thumbs Up

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
Mase2020

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, Phil wow thanks that would be great I really would appreciate it. Can't wait to get back on the water. I'm looking to fish deeper this year with a drop shot or football jig so the depth finder will help. do you know if the transducer is the same even if the unit has down imaging. I have an Etrex Garmin GPS so I was thinking of holding off of the GPS part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: