CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Diana's Pool
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MANIMAL

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Diana's Pool Reply with quote

anyone here fished it? I'm checking it out for the first time tomorrow at sun-up

No idea what gear to bring, having never been. Should be a fun new adventure
hila2006

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, sorry don't even know where that is.
Fish On!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fished it one time last opening day for trout with a rooster tail. Didn't spend to much time there as it was crowded. It's also crowded in the summer with people playing in the water.
danm

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get there before sunrise and get out before 10, I always catch my limit (2) all the way until July. After opening day, I only see about 3 or 5 other people there while I'm there. These fish are pretty skittish, so I use 4 pound fluorocarbon, size 8 hook, a 3 quarter inch bobber set about 3 feet up from the hook, and let it drift into the calm spots on the water. I found meal worms work best. No need for waders in the Diana's Pool area, but maybe up river at the state forest trophy pool areas. Yes, opening day is very crowded with campfires on the rocks and such, but I've see 4 pound breeders get pulled out of there! After 9 or 10 am, as Fish On! commented, you get the Willimantic whales in there splashing around thinking they're beautiful (lol), the mini kayakers that constantly run into your line (on opening day - really?) and just keep on apologizing, and of course the dog owners that think the have the place to themselves and let them loose. One crowd worth mentioning is the group from the Town of Chaplin(?) that consistently goes in there and cleans up the partying messes. God Bless Them! Keep tabs on the USGS website for the water temps and heights for the the Natchaug Marcy Rd monitor that's right there. When its high, its real loud in there and not very fishable.
bigtrout025

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very fast water with a nice pool
MANIMAL

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill def go visit that lace again! water was very fast and I didnt have live bait with me, hardly ever fish with worms. threw everything I had into that pool and only got a few bumps

the guy next to me pulled out 4 trout with worms for bait

for those who have successfully fished it - live bait only? any luck with anything else in there?

once the water slows i gotta float some trout magnets down it
Genesis2245

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapala f-5 Hot steel. Only thing I use there and it works great.
MANIMAL

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont have any rapala hot steel lures - time to add that color to the box!
danm

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Memorial Day! Diana's Pool was a performer this morning. Got there a little after sunrise with my two daughters and my friend, used mealworms on size 8's with bobbers floating about two feet up and scored 6 brownies, 1 smallie (10 inch), and a shiner. We kept 5 of the brownies. The counter clockwise pool swirl can be a challenge for a new fisher, but one of my daughters listened well, hooked, fought, and landed her first 12 inch brownie on her own! Plus as we were leaving we also noticed another fisher walking out proud with a stringer of smallies. Didn't know there were that many bass in there. A series of three showers rolled thru, but we were all plenty happy with our 3 hour stay at the Pool.
MANIMAL

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im gonna try it again mid week

i dont want to have to resort to live bait....but i will if i get skunked this week
danm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little crisp this morning to start at 5, but the trout action was so-so. We caught 1 brookie, 2 rainbows, three browns, 1 little smallmouth, and a few sunfish. Everything was less than 12 inches. The water felt like bath water (USGS said Marcie Rd gauge was 70 degrees water temp). It really slowed down by 9:00am. Absolutely nobody else there! I know the colleges' are out, but seriously, where is everyone? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: