CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Drop shot for all us rookies!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Drop shot for all us rookies! Reply with quote

So who has a good diamgram and explaination on fishing the drop shot. I tried it last year a few times and would love some tips and also a recap on how to tie that darn thing....

Just one more cast...
Nickp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tie your standard polomar knot or whatever you use and leave a LONG tag end (the piece you cutoff) at least 10inches but I aim for 12-16inches. Hook doesnt matter unless your doing something different then me (I just nose hook it)

Soft plastics. Fishing methods vary and finding a way that your comfortable with will give you an edge.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go!
http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php
Tie it with a very long tag end (12-18") and then after you tie the knot, hold the hook straight out with the pointy end-up,..then pass the long tag end down through the eye of the hook from the topside down,..then when you pull it tight, the hook will stand out straight 90 degrees from the line. The two most important tips i can give you on the fishing of it are:
1) Use a thin natural color (brown/geeen/grey) 4" worm (I like roboworms Aarons Magic color..) that doesn't float or sink rapidly! As close to neutral buoyancy as possible!
2) Cast it out and let it fall to the bottom on a slack line!! Then very gently feel for a fish. DO NOT SHAKE OR GIVE ACTION TO THE WORM! The less you move it,..the more fish you will catch!! If you tighten up the line and there is nothing there,..reel it up and cast it to a different spot! Any fish within 10 feet will see it falling,..as soon as they see it rise off the bottom (a sign of life), they will either bite it or they won't! You do not have to ATTRACT the fish! (This is the toughest thing to learn with a DS!!)

Here is an article by Rich Zaleski. He is as good at dropshotting as almost anyone on the planet and is single-handedly responsible for the majority of fish being caught in CT on the DS right now! He gives a seminar at Tornament Force Tackle in Guilford once or twice a year,..if you can go to one I would highly recommmend it! Cool
http://www.richz.com/fishing/articles/dropshot.html
(Make sure you check out the last link at the very end of the article!)
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Great info... Thanks
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much! This was very helpful! now its time to practice... i have the 4" Yum Dingers... think they will have a good bouancy?

Just one more cast...
Keith T

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tie 2 hooks on? I'vew heard paople use a Jig for the weight on the bottom Question

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can kieth- ive had sucess with a hopkins spoon and 4in roboworm above it for crappies. Im sure it would work on smallies.
dave_376

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have used a jig on the bottom but i have had much more sucess fishing a jig when and how i fish jigs than as a weight on the bottom. at the same time i have done far better with a drop shot weight than any other set up.

as for the dinger. they are designed to sink hence the heavy salt impregnated deal. try a yum houdini worm or a zoom finesse worm
stumpy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zoom speed worms, zoom trick worms work also, oh and for wacky rig i like the zoom 4"centipede. the centipede is the only wacky rigged bait i use for ds.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip!!!

Just one more cast...
stumpy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stumpy wrote:
zoom speed worms, zoom trick worms work also, oh and for wacky rig i like the zoom 4"centipede. the centipede is the only wacky rigged bait i use for ds.

i screwed up i meant zoom finese worms. not speed worms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: