CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: drop shot setup Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djmon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: drop shot setup Reply with quote

hey guy; as the winter continues the planning for the spring continues as well. i have had my shimano symetre 1500 spinning reel i've been waiting to put on a dropt shot rod for awhile now and soon enough with pick up the rod it's self. the setup is going to be that reel along with shimano's crucial 7'2"ft (m) dropshot rod- the only part i am having trouble on is the choice of line. i have seen guys using thin braid with flurocarbon leaders, pure flurocarbon, pure mono..........just looking to see what people suggest and what pound test. this will be my first year to d.s. so i could always use pointers. thanks
WishinIWasFishin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's not the conventional method, but I use PowerPro and then have a mono drop shot rig I attach with a swivel
Old standby push button
slimecoat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dj, I use 8# fluorocarbon period, drop shotting is a super finesse deal, it's super strong, the fish can't see it, and I can feel every little bump or nibble, or weed I brush up against. I use a 14 year old 7' medium action Berkley lightning rod, I love the limber action of the tip for good hooksets, and the strong butt section gets the big ones back to the boat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The braid/flouro combo is really nice. Try 10# power pro with a 6 or 8 # flourocarbon leader. Make your leader two rod lengths long. Inside the power pro package there is usually a little pocket knot tying guide. It'll show you good splice knots to use. Practice tying those splice knots. They can be pain. I like the reverse albright knot. It's easy. I always work a little super glue into the knot for extra strength. The braid will work much better on your smaller 1500 size reel than mono or straight flourocarbon (no memory). If you don't use power pro, be sure the braid you use is made from the spectra fiber. The dyneema fiber doesn't tie as good a splice knot for me. I think it's slicker than the spectra stuff. Be sure to use good flourocarbon too.
Nickp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep using the braid/flouro combo.... More fish for me. Quit being cheap and spool up the 120 or so yards wih a high quality $20+ a spool flouro
MikeHoncho

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend it if it didn't work well me. Yes, it is more economical. A spool of flourocarbon will give you two season worth of leader material. Nick, sweetheart, thanks for you two cents.... Cool
ploplopfizzfizz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetheart?
Oh how cute!
Shocked Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Seaguar 6lb InvizX all year long. A little pricey, but you don't use that much each time you fill your spool and it is pretty strong and reliable.
djmon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slimecoat- is that the setup you used in the lower bolten tourney when i was on your boat? i remember a few fish coming off that; not bad
CTBASSIN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past I have used 8lb (1lb diameter) power pro with no leader on places like Lilly, Ct river and Zoar because the water is so stained. Clearer water I use either 4 or 6 lb Yozuri Hybrid or Invisx. I never use anything over 6 lb test. The only reason I used 8 in Power Pro was the small diameter. I have found that line diameter does make a difference in clear water.

Fitzwater Lures- Best custom jigs on the market
http://www.fitzwaterlures.com/

American Bass Anglers Draw Tournament Trail
CT Division 6
www.abadivision6.com
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 30lb test all the time!!!! Drop shot, Flippin a jig, crankbait, jerkbait......

Razz Razz Very Happy
slimecoat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes DJ, that was the set up, I changed out the line after that tournament, and don't recall loosing many if any fish after that tourney. If memory serves me correct, I was breaking fish off, not loosing them to poor hooksets or dull hooks.

On the other hand, my memory is not as good as it used to be, must have something to do with turning 40 next year. Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that could have something to do with it Very Happy
Just4fun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I use 6# fluoro for dropshotting.

Here's an article on dropshotting by "the master",.. that'll tell you more than you want to know:
http://www.richz.com/fishing/articles/dropshot.html
pdcrack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great article mark, thanks a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: