CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: Early am trout
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DV

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Early am trout Reply with quote

Met up with Robo to check out some spots on the wast branch farmington river this morning. The original plan to was to check out the willimantic river but the flows for the farm came up and we took the trip out there. Started the morning off with a bad start as I made him wait outside for 15min before I had finally woke up (sorry again!). We decided to check out a spot we both have never been too downstream from where I usually fish for a change of pace and it worked out well. We got to the first spot around 5:15 and we were both into fish within 2 casts. Within the fist hour Rob was into his largest trout ever, I netted it and took some photos of him and his fish. She went a smidge under 20" and was damn close to 4lbs, beautifully colored female with blue hue. For awhile I kept missing fish while Rob was catching 2+ lbers left and right! I thought not fair haha. I was genuinely happy for him though, watching someone smile as they hook into fish just shy of trophys is a great feeling and I was hoping my time would come. Water temp was about 50* with the recent dam release, good for fishing/bad for freezing human feet. Neoprene booties and insulated boots we no match for the river, numb toes after 20 minutes. Also got the chance to observe some wildlife, a racoon looking for a meal. And one of those imperious fly fisherman type making 500 casts with a wooly bugger with nothing to show for but a dry look on his face as we nailed fish after fish right in front of him. In all seriousness though he was a nice guy and lacked the elitist attitude of the run of the mill "fly guys"

We played around with hook size, weight amount and spacing throughout the first hour till we figured out a good pattern. Soon after I made a change too a lighter wire size 10 hook I got into the biggest fish of the outing, A 20' male brown over 4lbs. SOB felt like a snag and then like a rock, I felt a head shake and looked at Rob and gleamed "ahhhh this is nice fish". Rob caught a few more 3lbers and I picked up a couple more aswell. I caught a awesome colored 18" brown I wanted a picture off but I dropped that sucker back in the water quick fast like an idiot. Spent 4hours out at that one spot and between the 2 of us landed 10 fish 3 pounds or larger and 20 fish between 12-16". The bite this morning was sick, not a lot of quantity but some huge fish were landed, spotted and or hooked up with. I got a bite early on that just might have been my new pb, doubled over my rod not once but twice and my stupid a** still missed it.

Had all the makings of a morning, good weather, cooperative fish, great scenery and good company. I am sure rob can vouch for this as he was smiling like he was having the best outing of his life. It was nice to meet someone who enjoys and respects fishing just as much as I do.

Last edited by DV on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
RobO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Great day of trout fishing Reply with quote

I am so glad I had the oppurtunity to meet up and fish with DV. We hit the Farmington River (about 15 minutes later than planned. he he.) and it was a gorgeous morning. The water was cold and the flow was moving. DV and I found what we thought looked like a good pool and we hit the jack pot.

I couldn't belive the quantity and quality and of the fish we were catching. They had beautiful colors, fought hard and were of veryvery respectible size.

I was using a light action rod, 5'6", 6 lb mono. Let me tell you.. My rod was bending and the drag was whining. I made sure to adjust the drag to the fight of each fish. All fish were caught and released..

For a while I was laughing (inside myself) because when we first got there I was the one catching the bigger ones and DV was catching the smaller ones. I think this had to do DV's smaller hook. I am more the novice fisherman and yet I was catching all the big ones. That was all until DV caught a beautiful brown that had to go at least 4lbs. This thing was a monster. The pics I took do not do it justice (new camera.. Still learning) and I can't figure out how to post images here.

By far this was my best day of trout fishing I have ever experienced. The weather was perfect. Bugs did not bother me. My new waders and boots worked great. The fish were biting. I have never caught so many in one outing and they were not puny 9 - 14 inch trout I am used to catching. All of this and a new friend made.. You bet your arse I was smiling!

(side note) When I first came on this site and started reading people's post about how they were catching 20 trout in one day or 30 stripers and 25 LMB in a 4 hour period, I thought everyone was telling another BS fish story trying to compete with each other stories. Well today I was proven wrong. Up until today the most trought I ever caught was 10 in one day and that was on opening day when the fish were plenty. I can now vouch for DV's reports and the quality and quantity he catches. He is a true fisherman with the utmost respect for the sport. Now as for the rest of you guys catching all those fish... Well you will have to bring me out and show me and prove me wrong like DV did. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv never fished the Farmington other then fly fishing, what do you guys use? Crawlers or mealworms?
DV

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever they are hitting that day, brought a combo today and settled on mealworms.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job and nice report.

I've always had good luck fishing the Farmington with trout worms. They are smaller and seem to stay on the hook better than the crawlers do.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job guys! Great report and awesome photos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: