CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Early spring bass questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XploZion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Early spring bass questions Reply with quote

Iv never had any luck fishing This time of year and i was wondering if anyone could give me some tips? i dont always have access to a boat so i fish from a few different docks sometimes.

The main place ill be fishing is going to be Hitchcock lake in wolcott and Candlewood.

Thanks!
angry john

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to study topo maps of the lake you are fishing. The bass will be staging on the steep gradients right now, with access to deep water. This time last year the situation was a lot different and you need to use water temperature and conditions to read where the fish are not the date on the calendar. I started as a shore guy, and if your locked into that situation I would be focusing on small water. Go to the tiny ponds that you can almost cast across the entire thing. This will give you access to the entire depth of the body. Smaller lakes are shallow and will warm up faster. IMO right now you really only have two options, the jig and the jerkbait. The jerkbait has been very good the last month or so, but if your shore fishing you may end up snagging and losing a few. I like the luckystrike jerkbaits and they run 7 or so dollars at TW.
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second what AJ said about smaller lakes and ponds.

I've been the same way for many years. Fishing smaller and shallower lakes and ponds that you can cover more area at are your best bet for shore fishing this time of year. The smaller and more shallow the lake or pond, the faster it warms up.

For small shallow ponds this time of year, you're best bets would be jerkbaits and soft plastics. Size is another thing this time of year. Smaller lures work better early in the year.

Rapala Husky Jerks are awesome jerkbaits. Smaller soft plastics such as 4" Senkos, 4" Berkley Power Worm, 2 1/2" Fin-S, and Mister Twister Twistermites work well.
RaMPaGeBaSsMaN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Early spring bass questions Reply with quote

XploZion wrote:
Iv never had any luck fishing This time of year and i was wondering if anyone could give me some tips? i dont always have access to a boat so i fish from a few different docks sometimes.

The main place ill be fishing is going to be Hitchcock lake in wolcott and Candlewood.

Thanks!

Isn't Hitchcock lake private? If so you have access to that place?! I work in the area Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Early spring bass questions Reply with quote

RaMPaGeBaSsMaN wrote:

Isn't Hitchcock lake private? If so you have access to that place?! I work in the area Smile

yes it is private. my family has a friend that owns a house on it and we take the boat out there sometimes. Soft plastic worms are such a hit there if you cast toward the shore. i swear to jesus i get a bass atleast every 8/10 casts. the only problem there is size. Barely ever anything over 2 pounds atleast not that iv caught.
Megaman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Only problem there is size"......

To eliminate the dinks...tie on a jig (3/8 oz) with a paca craw trailer...and slowly tap it and jerk it slowly near any structure or docks...hang on TIGHT cuz You will catch their mommy.....trust me.... Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megaman wrote:
"Only problem there is size"......

To eliminate the dinks...tie on a jig (3/8 oz) with a paca craw trailer...and slowly tap it and jerk it slowly near any structure or docks...hang on TIGHT cuz You will catch their mommy.....trust me.... Wink

Iv tried jigging around the docks. Iv only cought 2lbers with the jigs. i shouldnt blame the lake though im sure they are in there i just need to learn to find the big ones.
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big spinnerbaits?
Elixir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experiences at Cwood in the spring and fall its all about the drop offs. From shore aim for the weed lines and structures. Finding the big ones comes down to luck. Just be happy to even find fish in that lake! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, small ponds warm up first. I live on Moodus Resivoir in East Haddam. So far I haven't even gotten a hit yet from there. Of course I don't have a boat anymoreso I am fishing for the shore. I have been going to a small pond and catching bass on 3 inch grubs reeling them in real slow. Once it warms up more on Moodus Res I will use jigs. I catch alot of bass when the lake warms up from shore. Last year I caught a 7.26 pound bass. That's my second one from there. Early spring there are a lot of people fishing there and keeping under size bass by the buckets .I don't know how many times I called Deep on them. The bass have to be 18 inches or better to keep.
Maximillion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysenko wrote:
I agree, small ponds warm up first. I live on Moodus Resivoir in East Haddam. So far I haven't even gotten a hit yet from there. Of course I don't have a boat anymoreso I am fishing for the shore. I have been going to a small pond and catching bass on 3 inch grubs reeling them in real slow. Once it warms up more on Moodus Res I will use jigs. I catch alot of bass when the lake warms up from shore. Last year I caught a 7.26 pound bass. That's my second one from there. Early spring there are a lot of people fishing there and keeping under size bass by the buckets .I don't know how many times I called Deep on them. The bass have to be 18 inches or better to keep.

I agree I fish Moodus every often since I live fairly close and once it warms up there are families out there each with their own buckets keeping everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: