CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Early spring fishing at Quaddick?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therieldeal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Early spring fishing at Quaddick? Reply with quote

So … I was wondering if anyone had tips for early spring fishing at Quaddick lake? I’m fishing from shore… I was going to buy a kayak this spring, but I bought a house this winter so I can’t afford a kayak just yet! If anyone knows the area, the ice is completely gone up at the north end of the lake on Baker rd. I was there for a while yesterday and didn’t get a single strike! I know people ice fish in this area, presumably for Pike. I’m not fishing for anything specific, usually I catch bass though. I was using a lipped rapala and a buzzbait yesterday, I think I’m going to try some spinner baits this afternoon…
Flipper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the few lakes in the state that I have not fished for pike. That being said, looking at a satelite photo, it seems that you are in the right place at the right time for spawning pike. I am not sure if the flow enters or exits from that end of the lake, but if it is coming in, that's definately the spot. If you want to try lures, I would throw a large in line spinner or a 4" spoon. A spinnerbait will catch them too. If the weeds are an issue, try a soft plastic like a fin-s-fish or sluggo rigged weedless. Personally, nothing beats large baitfish under a bobber for me. The pike should be VERY shallow in thick weeds right now as that is where they spawn (flooded marshes w/ feeder streams). Good luck and post results.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This end of the lake is in fact the inlet, and parts of it are quite shallow. There aren’t many weeds right now, the winter drawdown killed off most of them (as intended). I think I may need to investigate even farther upstream into “stump pond”, but I’m not quite sure how to get up there without a boat. I’ll have to check for hiking trails…

I had no luck with the spinnerbaits either, perhaps I’ll pick up a big spoon. I prefer fishing with lures, I get kinda bored standing around fishing with bait & bobber. That combined with the cold is why I never tried ice fishing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: