CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Falcon Lake, TX 3/2-3/5 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Falcon Lake, TX 3/2-3/5 Reply with quote

Falcon still had a tough bite going on on this trip. High winds made for some crazy boat handling, but we hammered through it and had some success. Most of our fishing was done on the Mexican side anywhere from 3 to 22 feet of water. Fish were caught in all of the following techniques: crashing cranks into trees, stroking jigs, jerking spinnerbaits, 10-12 inch worms, the flick shake, flipping, and swimbaits (both shallow and deep). My partner and I each caught our fair share of nice-sized fish. My best two were a 6-10 and a 6-2. He got a 10-1 and and a 7-0. I lost a giant on a swimbait in 6 FOW that I won't soon forget. Let her get under the boat. That one stung.

If anyone gets a chance to head to Falcon, I'd highly suggesting taking that chance. You have to work to find the bite since the water's so high right now, but when you do, IT'S ON!!! Even the little ones pull hard at this place.
Basstard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough bite? Sounds like a good trip to me....... Congrats on the six pounders! I would be stoked if I caught fish that big! Your lucky you get to hit all these sweet lakes. I remember in a past post of yours you went to Lake Amistad.

Falcon Lake? Amistad? Chillin with Byron Velvick? How do you get to do all this stuff? Are you some kind of a big deal or something? HAHA..... IM JEALOUS.
Phish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm DEFINITELY not a big deal like Ron Burgundy...just a lucky guy that gets to work with some serious anglers from time to time. I pinch myself each time I'm out on the water while working. Falcon and Amistad were both unreal places. Funny thing is, I hit tough bites at both places. We still caught fish...especially this last trip to Falcon, but it was classified as tough conditions by the locals and other pros that were in the area. Just had to work hard for each and every bite. Apparently when Falcon is "on," it's not uncommon to catch 30-40 fish a day. We were closer to the 10-20 range. Amistad was on lockdown when I went due to 2 nasty fronts.
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Report! Sounds like a great trip!
Phish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the best one I landed. 6-10 post spawner. She wolfed down a 7" tru-tungsten Tru-life swimbait (weighted with 3 of the tungsten balls for fast sinking) in 6 FOW. 20 lb flouro.
Basstard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE FISH
pdcrack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOG!!!
Phish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing on this catch and swimbaits in general. I have an 8' Diawa Zillion swimbait rod, and if you're going to start using any of the heavier or larger baits, this sucker really helps you launch them beyond your targets. It gives you distance with control and plenty of backbone. I'm thinking about getting another one to use for flipping too.
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find a decent deal on the Zillion rods I am looking for about 7 of them!
Phish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely love them. I only have the one, the rest are Procyon, and I have a nice daiwa light weight dropshotting rod. I'll let you know if I see any deals. I got mine as a gift, so you can't beat that!!!!!
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do! I Have all Team Daiwa S rods and a few Light and tough. I have one Ceilo which is the same blank as the Steez but I like the foam grips.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Phish, sounded like an awesome trip out.
MarkO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Jed, good stuff. A 6'10" is a nice bass. Are you going to throw the swinbaits up here this year? Probably an dumb question!
Phish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a doubt. I just ordered 8 in various sizes and colors. I got a few pointers on how to work them at various levels in the water column and figured out a couple things on my own too. Next thing I need to figure out is how to get them out there without it sounding like I threw a truck into the water. At this point, I'm side-arming them at least 15 feet past my target and trying to brake them as they get close to the water...but anytime you're throwing a 7" hard-plastic bait with 3 big tungsten balls weighing it down I guess it's going to make some noise.
Basstard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you fellas are on the swimbait topic......Have any of you guys had any luck around here with a Sebile magic swimmer? I just picked one up at Dick's last week. I am looking forward to using it...... just looking for a little bit of feedback if anyone has used this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: