CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: fall bass fishing questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therieldeal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: fall bass fishing questions Reply with quote

I'm up in the northeast corner, fishing in the evening after work. I'm looking for some better spots to try (i fish from shore) and maybe some suggestions on lures?

so far ive tried:
north end of quaddick lake (bust)
north end of west thompson dam lake (near the red bridge) (bust)
south end of the dam, at the peninsula (12" smallmouth)
french river near the dam (one sunfish the other day, and a 19 INCH largemouth tonight!)

any suggestions? i'm looking for someplace that i can fish in the evening or at night, as i usually work till 5-6. if the french river has more than just the one giant bass in it, i may be trying there more often!

ive been throwing all kinds of lures, but the only things ive caught decent fish on were a cheap black spinnerbait, and a cheap black twin-blade buzzbait.

I'm trying to post a picture of the bass from tonight but i dont have enough posts yet Sad. this is the biggest fish i've ever caught by FAR.... so if its not *that* big i apologize for being a little excited! from what i could find online, a 19" bass would be roughly 4 lbs?
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

Congrats on your new personal best! Very Happy

I'd expect a 19 inch largemouth to be in the three pound range. I've found that river fish seem to be heavier than lake fish of the same length, but it really all depends on the girth of the fish. On 09/23, I caught a 20 inch largemouth on Winchester Lake that weighed four pounds, four ounces, but on 09/26, I caught a 21 inch largemouth at the mouth of Bantam River that weighed only three pounds, eight ounces. And a few minutes later, I caught an 18 incher that weighed three pounds, one ounce. Bottom line: Get yourself a Berkeley digital scale from Walmart. And save your receipt, in case it dies within the first 30 days.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll have to stop by wal mart and check out the scales. thats interesting that they vary so much in weight, but i suppose fish are like anything else. not every 6 ft tall guy is going to weight the same, etc.

i didnt even have a tape measure or anything with me, wasnt really expecting to catch anything that big! i ended up breaking a reed to length and measuring that when i got home.

lets see if i can post the pictures now:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: