CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: Farmington River 8/8/10 trout fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Farmington River 8/8/10 trout fishing Reply with quote

I met up with two buddies of mine and we hit the Farmington River on Sunday morning. Our goal for the day was to hit some new spots on the river we have not fished yet. We figured we might as well start at the top and work our way down.

Hogback Dam:

We arrived about 5:20am. We parked on the side of the road and made our way down a steep difficult path in order to get to the pool. We entered the water in shallow, one foot deep, area and worked our way to the pool that is about 125 yards south of the dam. The water was cold and was very fast moving and slightly dangerous as the bottom was full of rocks with slime covering them. Very slippery. Shocked

My buddy Matt and I crossed from the east side to the west side of the river and found a very deep hole. The hole was very long and the water movement was moderate. We fished trout worms and used 2 pea sized split shots to get the bait down deeper. I caught 1 brown and 2 rainbows all about 12-13 inches. Matt bit better and caught five rainbows all about the same size. The rainbows her hitting the bait aggressively when presented in front of them.

My other buddy Jay decided to try and fish the big pool directly next to the dam. He was not as productive and only caught one rainbow about 12 inches. He said the trout where definitely there as they constantly rose to the surface for the hour he was there.

We were the only guys fishing this pool for the 3 hours while we were there.

I found that this area/pool was difficult to navigate through the fast water and difficult to get too. All trout were caught on trout worms. We all tried meal worms and had no hits on this bait.

We decided to head back to the truck and move on to the next pool that looked promising.

Van’s pool (I think):

We slowly drove down along the FR looking for nice pools. There were tons of fishermen out and we did not want to barge in on their fishing spots. So we found an area that had a nice parking lot and only a few vehicles. We each entered a different spot. I entered in a spot that ended up being a pool. I walked in and then it dropped like 2 feet instantly. I fished from there and was able to catch a 13 inch rainbow on a worm. As I was fishing I look down into the water and see another Rainbow just chilling by my feet. The water had moderate movement. Once again meal worms were ineffective.

Jay and Matt tried a couple of different spots and I think Jay only got 1 rainbow.

Pool name unknown: (anyone know?)

We wanted to try and hit the Hitchcock Pool behind the Riverton Storage facility. Unfortunately there were already 6 fisherman there. We decided to move on and hit it another time.

We ended trying another pool behind a baseball field. It was a nice stretch of river with a slow movement and a moderately deep, very long pool. There were a lot of fly fisherman there, but they were spaced out well enough to allow for us to find some spots. There were a lot of fish rising and I ended up catching another 2 brownies and Jay caught 2 also. The trout definitely were not hitting the flies. I did not see one guy bring in a fish.

The bottom of the river was full of mud and soot. I keep sinking in and a couple of times really had trouble pulling my feet out. Any chance I got I would try and stand on some structure.

It was going on 11:30am and we decided to call it a day and go grab some brunch.
All in all it was a successful scouting/fishing day.

Notes:
Meal worms were not on the trout’s menu. All fish were caught and released to fight another day.

Even though I was successful at Hogback dam, I will not be in a hurry to return there.

I think I will be buying one of those folding walking sticks for the rough water. Embarassed

Sorry about the long winded report with no pictures. Since none of the fish were of trophy size, I did not risk taking the camera out of my vest and dropping it.

Rob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report, Rob. Thanks.
RobO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phish.. Wasn't sure if anyone was reading my informative posts. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this was posted twice because I'm pretty sure I already commented on this one Wink
RobO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirty Dawg, I believe you did.

I am just surprized at the amount of reports. Seems like no one is writing any..

I know that fishing slows at times in the summer heat, but it just seems really quiet here over the last month.

Not too many trout fisherman...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised too. I think there are 2 reasons the reports seem to be slowing down. This is a busy time of year for people so the posting tends to slow a little and the water and weather seem to be slowing the fishing down as well. People aren't posting reports when they don't catch fish or catch small or few fish. I still try to post either way. However I did hit the Farmington in Tariffville for bass yesterday evening and got the skunk so I never put a report up.

As far as trout fishing goes...I was exclusively trout fishing prior to this season. This is my first year of bass fishing and I've been so focussed on getting better at it that I haven't been trout fishing at all this year. I wouldn't mind hitting the Farmington with you one of these days but I'll probably end up waiting until the end of September or October to head out.
Fishface

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek, How was the water flow?

Tim
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current in Tariffville was very slow and the water level was down a couple of feet.
RobO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DD,

Anytime you want to go for that elusive 5lb trout you just let me know.
I look forward to it.

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: