CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Farmington River Bass 4/24
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Farmington River Bass 4/24 Reply with quote

For the first time in my life I went to the Farmington River with bass lures instead of trout lures and bait. Fished from 6:30pm to 8:00pm. I found a nice big pool and threw a heddon tiny torpedo black shiner. On the second cast a very nice smallie blew up on the lure. It was great!! It looked descent size when it came out of the water but when it started stripping line I knew it was a good one. It was about 16" and I'm guessing around 2lb. Not bad for the first bass I've ever caught.

I also caught a rock bass that wasn't much bigger than the popper I caught it on...lol...I guess it was hungry.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well according to the size to weight chart in the angler's guide it was probably closer to 2.5lbs. Sorry I didn't get any pics for those pic lovers out there but to tell you the truth I wasn't expecting to catch anything. It surprised the heck out of me that there was a smallie in there. It was in a section of the river where a heavy current comes into a large pool and then takes a 90deg turn out of the pool. The current slows down quite a bit in that pool and there is a bit of backwater where there is little to no current.
Lunker Cove

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet glad to hear somebody catching something, the farmington from my personal experience is usually the best producer of smallies besides andover lake which is the most incredible place i ever fished for bass, 5 to 6ers are common in the lake and i got a anywhere from a 9 to 12 pound largemouth out of there to. Only thing is, its private got to know somebody who lives on it
basswacka19

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice job! a 2-2.5 smallie is a real good first catch!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! It was fun to finally catch one. I wasn't aware that the Farmington was a good place for smallies. Good to know.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTG Dawg! The Farmington is prime time for smallies they love those conditions, moving water and lots of rocks and sandy bottom. If you ever get a chance, do a float trip down on a tube and cast to all the pools and eddys you can see. You will be amazed at the number of smallies there.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: