CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: Farmington River, Goodwin Dam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanfromTrumbull

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Farmington River, Goodwin Dam Reply with quote

Walked down to the base of the dam sunday afternoon, started with jigging a Git zit through the current and didn't need to change it up the entire time I was there. I only stayed for three hours but I landed atleast twenty-five browns and bows, the largest was a 17" brown. If you have any of those little git zit lures give them a rip up there, it's almost unfair how many of them nail those things.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: yah man, Reply with quote

on sunday i went up to the dam, fished right below the dam, with my buddy and we caught 18 mix brown and bows. one bow topping around 4lbs. it was a great day out. there hitting anything shiney moving slow just above the rocks. Creeping a castmaster along the top of the rocks, and almost every cast we had a strike or fish on. good times.... plan on being there this sunday again. this time with the fly rod. tied up some matching flies. ready to go.
Flipper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but I thought only the LOWER Farmington was open to fishing year round. That would be from the Windsor Dam downstream to my understanding. Maybe you guys are catching so much because they are all the stocked trout for opening day. Not trying to be a d*ck, but make sure you are not poaching. Correct me if I'm wrong cause I have been hungry for some browns lately. Is that area a trout management area that is catch and release only right now? That would make sense, too. I don't know - somebody clear this up for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: no Reply with quote

im deffinatly fishing lower. thats what i meant to say. its below the dam not far up from the farmington line. few miles. goes from dam all the way down to the bridge. plenty of people fishing there to. im not that familiar with farmington i just figured thats where he was talking about....

im fishing the no kill open all year areas. i dont brake the rules Smile

fishing is good. tons of trout in the legal areas. catching lots cause im good. Smile lol.
Flipper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That explains it. I wasn't giving you a hard time, just curious cause I like to eat them. The reason I brought it up is I know that the Farmington River from the CT River north to the Rainbow Res dam is considered lower tidal water and open year round. The rest of the Farmington is closed except the trophy trout management areas - which is where you are fishing. I have to get caught up on the trout management locations. Glad to see you guys are having fun and catching fish, though. Very Happy Even if you can't eat them. Razz Browns are one of the few species I do keep for dinner.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: yah its been great Reply with quote

yah im fishing the tma. right across from RT4. and down street from there main hatchery. ive been told they get extra fish and they walk down there and putthem in for the no close season section. so sometimes you still get some fresh stocked trout there.

either way. finding 3 to 4 fish per hole. very fun action going on.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Uh-Oh! Reply with quote

I took a look at the 2011 Connecticut Angler's Guide (the Guide) and think that Flipper is right that, except for the Trout Management Areas, the upper Farmington River (i.e., from the Goodwin Dam to the Rainbow Dam) is closed for the season (i.e., from the first day of March to 6:00 am on the third Saturday in April). While the stretch from the Goodwin Dam in Hartland to the Route 177 Bridge in Unionville is a Trophy Trout Stream, the Guide doesn't specify that it's "Open year-round". Oops!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: the one at the unionville dam Reply with quote

Yah its open. the stretch from the unionville dam to the Bridge is open year round. catch and release barbless hooks only...

I know my TMA's fairly well. just not from the area so i have no luck explaining them.

I fish, salmon river, farmington and the hammonasit. year round for years, and never had any problems. occasionaly up at salmon river the DEP will come down and have awsome conversation while fishing. there great up there.

but farmington river down by dam is awsome fishing right now. and its open year round. just look in the book. it tells you its TMA, and it says open year round to barbless hooks. if you like trout fishing, it is having awsome action right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: