CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: Farmington River Questions... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esox CT

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Farmington River Questions... Reply with quote

I've been working in Avon for 3 years, and I pass by the Farmington River at different spots almost everyday. Yesterday was my first time fishing it. Embarassed I only took my light tackle rod equipped with a small Yozuri gold suspending minnow, my smallie killer! Anyways, the only thing I caught was a bluegill, and I saw a huge trout jump after a bug, and then 2 more times just for fun. Every spot I went to looked like a gem, but I have to say I wasn't impressed. I know the Farmington is a great trout fishery, but I could care less.

Questions:
1. What species are in the Farmington River??
2. Is there a dam that divides the Farmington from the CT. River??
3. What town does the Farmington meet the CT. River??

Any input would be useful to me at this point. If there are bass and pike I'd stop and fish it everyday after work. If not, it's just pretty water to me.
heavyweight80

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work in Avon and traveled rt10 everyday along the Farmington river. I can honestly say I never caught a thing in over 10yrs of trying. I know if you go back up rt 10 towards Miss Porters and take a right at the second light in the middle of the campus and follow it for about a half mile,there is the Public Town Plots where I've heard of people doing good there. I've fished the once and saw a lot of action in the water,but it was a salmon run and no one was catching a thing. And down the road from there is Tunxis Meade Park where the water is a lot slower and I've seen some monster jumping there. You can give that a shot

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Maybe I'll just forget it then. 10 years and not 1 fish to show for it?? I think I'll stick to the CT. River Wink Wink
heavyweight80

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth a shot. I never tried serious enough. I hear upper parts like in New Hartford are good and by the steel bridge in Unionville where people pull out some good keepers.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, trout? Confused
heavyweight80

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...sorry. I've also heard of decent salmon coming out of there,but as you know can't keep them. I hear the town plots across the street from where they fly the RC Planes is usually good in Farmington,right off 10 behind Miss Porters

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANYBODY ELSE HAVE FARMINGTON RIVER INFO???

SPECIES??

OTHER THAN TROUT AND SALMON??

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught a smallmouth while fly fishing for trout right below Mead Park. There's a pool just above the bridge (where the rails to trails path is) that holds fish. You'll see some big movement in the water there at times. Whether it's big trout, bass, or "other," I don't know....
Justin

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of spots to go fish for bass (largies and smallies) as well as other species like trout, salmon, carp, suckers, rockbass, etc. I have been fishing it on and off for years since I was a kid and have had great days and horrible days.

Unionville area has some good spots for bass, anywhere from the small park on Rt 4 between the center of town and the high school, all the way up to Union School. Simsbury area has some sick looking wood, but I've yet to go there. If you keep going north up to New Hartford, there's the no-kill zone that has large trout and some smallmouth. I haven't been in over a year, so I can't tell you how the fishing has been lately.
Esox CT

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very useful information Very Happy Thanks for sharing fellas.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is some good fishing for smallies in rainbow res up the river wich is part of the farmington. and if you put in at Barts in s windsor and run up under 91 bridge there is pretty good fishing up there just be careful gets shallow up there in places . the farmington meets ct river south of Barts
colburn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where/what is barts?
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a restaurant in Windsor on Rt 159, I think it is.
Lunker Cove

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hear guys get pike,channels, and shad and striper when they are running
Fish_Whisperer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude the farmington is the best trout river in the state, but you need to be fly fishing. I actually never tried spinning reels there, but with a fly rod that place is gold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: