CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Farmington River - Simsbury 8/21
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Farmington River - Simsbury 8/21 Reply with quote

I fished the Farmington River again this week with Tim. All in all it was a pretty great day. The fishing was pretty good even though there was nothing huge this week. The water temp was 69deg and the skies were clear. My goal was to try out some of my new crankbaits from the Dick's clearance bin. It ended up being a good choice because I was able to put down the senkos for most of the day. We launched out of Curtiss park again and then headed downstream. Fishing the cover and grass all the way down. The first fish I caught on the crankbait was a 10" fallfish. I was wondering if the bass would be going after the crankbait too and it didn't take long for me to find out. I pulled in a 9", 10", 10", 11" & a 15.5" (1lb 11oz) all were LMB. All were caught off laydowns along grass or under overhanging bushes. Then I picked up another fallfish, this one fought more like a bass but I found out it was because it was a 14" fish. Tim should have a pic of the 15.5" bass and the 14" fallfish when he gets a chance to put them up.

I then turned back and started heading back upstream. Tim took a run upstream to hit a spot we fished last week (where he caught the hawg last week) and I decided to hang back and fish my way up there. I worked some overhanging bushes and got to one spot where fish just started slamming the crankbait but unfortunately didn't hook up with all of them. I ended up landing a 12" SMB on the crankbait...then I pitched under the same bush and got a missed strike...I tried again and the same thing so I followed it up with a wacky 5" purple senko and landed a 12" LMB. I worked another laydown a bit further up stream and got another 10" SMB. Here's a pic of the 12" SMB.

I finally made my way back to the huge laydown we fished last week and didn't see anywhere near the size or number of fish that were there last week. I caught an 11" fallfish on the crankbait, a 12" LMB on the purple senko and an 8" LMB on the crankbait. I fished the grass just upstream from that where I caught the 1.5lber last week and had 2 good sized fish follow the crankbait back to the yak but no bite from either of them. I followed up by pitching the senko in the grass but again nothing. I met back up with Tim and landed this little 7" sunny on the crankbait. I know...I know...it's a sunny but I liked the coloring on the belly so I got a pic of it.

When all was said and done I caught 12 fish on the shallow diving Bomber crankbait and only 2 on the senko. It was nice to have success with something other than the senko for once.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Derek, great to hear you guys had a good day out.

Jim
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim. Did you end up hitting the salt yesterday?
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: I'm still jealous. . . . Reply with quote

I haven't fished in more than two weeks! OK, I did pitch a wacky Senko into the Niagara River from Canada on the Lake Erie side for about 10 minutes and got a hit from a 2-1/2 to 3 pound largemouth bass that I got to the surface but failed to land, but that was it!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDawg10 wrote:

No Derek, my buddy Mark was short on time and did not feel it was worth going out for just a couple of hours so I ended up launching out of Cromwell and hit the Mattabassett River for awhile and got the usual half dozen cookie cutters.

Jim
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Hey, Jim! Reply with quote

Let me know the next time you hit the Mattabassett River. I'd love to check it out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do Phil.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkeeterJim wrote:
DirtyDawg10 wrote:

No Derek, my buddy Mark was short on time and did not feel it was worth going out for just a couple of hours so I ended up launching out of Cromwell and hit the Mattabassett River for awhile and got the usual half dozen cookie cutters.

Jim

Well at least you got out. I must have missed your report Razz
Fishface

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give my part of the report. First of all Dawg will be refered to as The Crankbait Kid LOL. Everytime I turned around Fish on. He did really good. As far as myself, I guessing a got about 10 or 11 Fish nothing large, caught a 13" LMB that was a fatty. I did have one cool thing happen, when we were getting ready to call it a day I was going back to the put in and I was pitching my wacky 5" Black w/Blue flake Senko into some deeper pools when I got wacked I thought it was a big one but it was two 13" SMB one of them was hooked and the other had a death grip on the worm. When they came to the surface I got the one that was hooked and the other made of with the worm. I even got my O-ring back, not something that happens everyday. All in all it was a trip. As far as that fall fish does anyone no if those are also called Dace? Thats what I been calling them for a lifetime. Jim If you are ever heading out to the Mattabassett let me know, I work about 3 mins from there. Always wanted to go there, I have some friends that Kayak from there but don't fish it. Phil are you home yet?

Tim
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tim, I did some looking into the dace and fallfish thing after we talked about it this weekend and it seems like they are very similar fish. They are both from the same family (minnow type fish) I believe the main difference is size. The fallfish range from about 10" to 15" and the Dace max out at between 10" & 12" and are usually around 6" to 8". At least according to what I found.
Fishface

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Derek
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some more pics from our trip last weekend...

My 15.5" LMB (1lb 11oz)

My 14" Fallfish

Tim's 13" Fatty LMB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: