CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Farmington River - Simsbury 9/18
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Farmington River - Simsbury 9/18 Reply with quote

So I hit the Farmington River solo today because I only had a few hours that I could go out but I needed my fix. I launched near Curtiss Park at 6:00am and headed down river toward Tariffville and I was off the water at 9:00am. The weather was nice for fishing with the overcast skies. I used the same Yo-zuri white minnow (red head) crank as I used last weekend. The only difference being is that I switched out the rear trebel to a larger hook (#4 I believe) and it made all the difference in the world. I didn't lose any fish this week. Early on I think the bass were still sleeping in and I picked up a small fallfish and a yellow perch off of some structure.

I slowly worked my way down to the power lines where there is a fork in the river and I picked up a few LMB on the way. An 11", 12", 8" and a 9". All fish were caught off grass, under cover or off structure. When I arrived at the power lines I noticed that most of the weeds had died back. I pitched the crank toward a small stand of grass and picked up this little 6"er who was barely longer than the lure. You gotta love the determination.

I approached one of my favorite laydowns near the fork and took a couple of casts, nothing. Then I turned so I could run the crank parallel to the tree and about halfway back to the boat...whack...a nice hit from a 15" LMB. I landed it measured it up and lipped it with the bright orange fish grippers I use so I could weigh it. As I was going to weigh it she gave a nice kick and with my wet hands she slipped right out of my hand and into the water grips and all Shocked I looked down and saw the grippers slowly swim off under the laydown. I couldn't believe my eyes. Now I know why they have a wrist lanyard on there Rolling Eyes I watched in horror for a few minutes hoping she would come out again but no such luck.

I finally gave up and moved a bit further down river and fished for about 10 or 15 more minutes with no luck. I decided to call it quits and head back up river. As I was passing the laydown that was holding my fish and my grippers I decided to do one more pass to see if I could see anything. I put on the polarized glasses and looked all around. When I got to the other side of the laydown I thought I saw an orange glow so I slowly paddled over to check it out. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw my damn grippers staring back up at me. I moved in cautiously so I wouldn't spook the fish...luckily they were only a foot or two below the surface. The fish must have backed into a pocket and was just sitting there. I couldn't see the fish just the grips hanging out of the hole. I reached down grabbed the grips and pulled them up with the fish still on. I weighed the fish in at 1lb 13oz and took this pic and then released her back minus the grips. I was relieved and I'm sure the fish was too.
troutbum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Dawg, thats pretty cool ! Atleast you got your grips back. Nice report.
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: LOL! Reply with quote

I'm happy. . . for the fish! Shocked

Seriously, though, I'm glad that you were able to get out on the water today.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know. I was more worried about the fish to tell you the truth. I was picturing a bass skeleton floating down the Farmington with grips attached to it. She was a beauty and will now be much nicer when she gains a couple of pounds Wink

I still can't believe everything worked out OK.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can actually see the reflection of your grips on the back of the fish in your photo.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol...that is my grips. There is an orange spot on the back of the fish. It is sitting next to my Plano Tackle organizer and I can see the blue hue of the kayak too. Good eye.
Fishface

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Derek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: