CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: Farmington River - Tunxis Mead
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Farmington River - Tunxis Mead Reply with quote

***Moved from River Reports***

Has anyone ever fished the bend in the Farmington River where it widens out next to Tunxis Mead Park in Farmington? Is there boating access to that stretch of the river? I know there's a canoe launch upstream from there on Wannowmasa Lane, but you'd have to portage the Rails to Trails bridge crossing to get down to the section next to Tunxis Mead Park.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tried it there but it is on my to do list.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out a satellite imagery map of the canoe launch on Wannowmasa Lane. It looks like it would be easy to walk your kayak underneath the bridge and put in downstream of it. I may check it out in the morning.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, Let me know how it is and how you do.

Jim
PECo

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim - Will do. I can't wait to get out there.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From kayak usually Get out by ball park....
PECo

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to the parking lot for the canoe launch on Wannowmasa Lane at 8:00 AM. The DEP fisheries truck drove by me to the ramp as I was unloading my kayak. They said they stocked 100 trout, some of which were four-pounders.

The ramp is upstream of the Rails to Trails bridge. I walked my kayak to the downstream side of the bridge and put in on a little sandy beach. The Farmington River widens out and slows down after flowing past the bridge. I paddled past the Farmington Boathouse on the western shore and downstream only a couple hundred yards further. The boathouse is used by Farmington High School and Miss Porter's School. I only had an hour to kill, so I headed across to the eastern shore and back up to the spot where I put in.

The river there is wide and slow, and work checking out if you like to paddle. I can definitely understand why they put the boathouse there. I pitched a wacky-rigged worm toward the shore a few times and didn't get a nibble. But I was mostly sightseeing and not fishing. I spoke with a shore fisherman on the boathouse dock who said he catches trout and largemouth bass there. He also said there is no public access to the boathouse.

When I went past the ramp as I was leaving, I also talked with a couple of guys who were trout fishing in waders. They said the biggest trout they saw was only 15 inches and were skeptical that the DEP stocked anything bigger.

I have to head back down there later because I lost half of my paddle when I was schlepping my kayak out. If anyone gets down there before I do and finds it, please snag it and let me know. I have a spare paddle, but it has yellow blades and I prefer the black blade on the half I lost.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I retraced my steps after I took my kayak out of the Farmington and schlepped it back to my car in the parking lot this morning, and I did not see the half of a kayak paddle I lost.

If you're down at the Wannowmasa canoe launch and see half of a kayak paddle with a black blade and the name "Co" written on it in silver Sharpie, please pick it up and send me a message. In the meantime, I have to use my backup kayak paddle with the yellow blades. Yeesh!

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was at the farmington tonight caught 7 kept none still got some in freezer. Nothing bigger than 3 lbs... Was a good evening....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: