CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: Farmington
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DV

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Farmington Reply with quote

I got bored with bass fishing as of late and decided to get out for some trout fishing along farmington river. I Invited Kira aka Turtlekiss along in hopes of having her catch her first trout. We were using light spinning gear with 4-6lb flouro, size 12 hooks.

She managed to bang out 4 trout in the first hour or so, with one of them going about 16". I caught 2, 2 12 inchers. I did manage to hook into what would have been the best fish of the outing but he/she headed down stream into the rapids within seconds of being hooked. The rod I was using was rather stiff and didn't absorb the run to well allowing some slack line, something you want to avoid. I was letting her use my ultra light with 4lb test in hopes of making it easier for her to catch a big one and wanting to come back. Fishing came to a stand still when the hatches started happening around 6pm.

I'm a bass newbie and a trout guy by nature while she is a bass addict/trout newbie, yet I got outfished 2-1 hahaha. She still thinks trout are slimy eel type creatures with no fight, I keep telling her to wait until she hooks one over 20". . Fishing completely stopped after the fies started hatching, you could see em rise everywhere but they completely avoided the bottom bait. Not many pictures were taken due to the nature of the spot, the largest fish she caught had an infection at the tail where you could clearly see the angler wiped off the slimecoat while most likely holding the fish for a photo.

Last edited by DV on Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:53 pm; edited 4 times in total
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Nice Reply with quote

Perhaps you should bring a fly rod and reel along, too, next time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. I haven't been out for the trout since last year and was thinking of making a trip up there sometime soon.
RobO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great posting DV. Now that I know you are a trout fisherman too, we should try and get together sometime to fish the Farmington.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I'm not a fan of the tiny hooks, the slime output, fluorocarbon, "light spinning gear," or the fragility of these dainty fish. I'd estimate their fight to be around 60% basspower pound for pound. That slime must make them super-aerodynamic. I was completely oblivious to any flies hatching, but I liked that the bite was pretty consistent for a while. I'd definitely like to try again for the promised 3 lbers during early a.m. hours.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Phish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you work a 5 plus pound trout with an attitude on a #24 barbless hook on the end of a fly line you'll know they have some fight. Some days you just can't beat the sound of the river and a screaming reel. Glad you guys had fun. If my knee is stable enough, I should be doing a bunch of fly fishing in Colorado later this summer. Fingers crossed.
DV

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a sensitive fish with relatively soft mouths but if you keep the drag light and don't horse em in they are typically fine upon release. Although last time out I caught a fish with a split jaw, not quite sure if 4lb test split the jaw on the hookset or if it was prior to me hooking it. I tend to favor bass fishing to trout now a days, they just put up a better fight and are a lot hardier of a fish. Trout are fun when you just catch a ton of fish in a short amount of time.
Phish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most important things to remember is to wet both of your hands before handling them. If you don't, it wipes the slimecoat off and you'll actually leave a handprint scar on the fish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: