CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Favorite Line to Fish With???
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Braid, Mono, or Fluoro?
Braid
52%
 52%  [ 10 ]
Mono
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
Fluoro
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Other?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 19

slim2043

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Favorite Line to Fish With??? Reply with quote

What is your favorite brand/type of line to fish with? Do you have a go to? Prefer one or the other in certain applications?

I'm curious what other people's opinions are. I have been experimenting for quite a while and I probably still will be experimenting (maybe forever)...

Superline - I have tried Spiderwire, Fireline, Power Pro, Tufline, Sufix (most recently 832 which I have had bad experience with) I'm torn amongst Sufix invisabraid and Fireline for which I like best

Fluoro - I use fluro a bit on my trout rods with Berkley Vanish which has done me good. I also use the 10 lb Berkley vanish as a leader running most of my crankbaits. I use Seaguar for my saltwater leader

Mono - To tell the truth here, I usually spool something cheap Exclamation from the tackle shop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power Pro braid, moss green, 40 pound test, although I intend to try 25 pound test next.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braid with jigs in the nasty stuff, flouro for everything else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stren Sonic Braid. Green. 40lb test. Although my most recent trip proved that may not be heavy enough...

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I had the fireline on for fresh and the Trout didnt like it at all. I had 2 poles and never caught a trout with that line on there and IMO it really stood out in the water. I tried the Vanish and couldnt stand it as I couldnt tie a knot with it without it breaking. I prefer the Stren Flourocarbon for fresh. As for salt I havent tried any braid yet but am thinking about setting up my new reel Ill be picking up in a few days with it to give it a try. Also for fresh I like the SOS Trout line. Right now on the Salt Ive been using the Berkely Big game 20-25 with 40lb leaders or steel leader for blues.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
slim2043

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinSolak wrote:
Stren Sonic Braid. Green. 40lb test. Although my most recent trip proved that may not be heavy enough...

What did you have on that the 40lb braid wasn't cutting it???

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the link below to his thread.
http://www.ctfishtalk.com/anti-depression-pills-please-t7573.html

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
madkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: favorite line Reply with quote

My go to is power pro hivis yellow 20 and 40# depending on the setup for salt with a 36 to 40" flouro leader ( i use ande)
on my trout and salmon stuff it's all flouro and mono.
Rich

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't recall what I didn't like about Power Pro the first time I used it a couple years ago. I think I was getting a bunch of tip-wraps. Anyone else have that problem with any particular braided line? I don't remember the # I was using either. It was probably something relatively light.

I actually tried Power Pro again this past week after the horrible experience with Sufix 832 I didn't want to buy anymore Sufix for a while, and I have nothing bad to say about Power Pro 40#. Helped me land my biggest bass of the year in thick weeds and pads and held up against a monster pike too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power Pro 30# is an abrasion magnet. No way am I ever buying it again.
I use 50# Fireline and Spiderwire (moss green) for most applications. 14lb Fireline Fused Original in smoke has worked great for me in open water...with jigs especially. Even the trout don't seem to notice it. It's just like braid...no memory, ultra-sensitive, thin, casts a mile...check it out:
http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/line/superline/fireline-fused-original

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
flippy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim, It all depends on what Im doing,,, flipping,, 65lb braid and sometimes a floro leader,,, froggin, I use braid, other topwater, say open water, I use mono, carolina rig, I use braid with a mono leader,, it floats and I want my bait to float,,for finesse fishing, say in the fall with very small baits, I use floro,, for drop shot I use braid with a floro leader,, for jerkbaitin I use mono,, thats just to name a few Very Happy Very Happy
SkeetSkeet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
I have to say I had the fireline on for fresh and the Trout didnt like it at all. I had 2 poles and never caught a trout with that line on there and IMO it really stood out in the water. I tried the Vanish and couldnt stand it as I couldnt tie a knot with it without it breaking. I prefer the Stren Flourocarbon for fresh. As for salt I havent tried any braid yet but am thinking about setting up my new reel Ill be picking up in a few days with it to give it a try. Also for fresh I like the SOS Trout line. Right now on the Salt Ive been using the Berkely Big game 20-25 with 40lb leaders or steel leader for blues.

Im no trout fisherman but it seems you should be using the braid for saltwater and the flouro for the trout. Trout seem to beextremely line shy.

Tip for the flouro. use a polamar knot and spit on the line before you tighten it. ive never had a problem with flouro knots and thats on 8 out of 10 of my rods.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KVD line conditioner makes a world of difference with the flouro to
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: