CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: Favorite places to yak
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeersNBass

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Favorite places to yak Reply with quote

Where are your favorite places to kayak fish? More looking for places w/ low boat traffic that are smaller out of the wind etc
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nell's Rock Reservoir and Great Hollow Lake are the only 2 freshwater places I've taken my kayak out onto.

Have taken my kayak into the salt twice.
AVec80X

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattabassett River. If you hang out in the upper section (1/2 mile below or 1/2 mile above) the Cromwell launching area there is plenty of tree cover to cut the wind and lots of Bass, Pike and Bowfin action. Unfortunately, conditions in there now aren't the greatest due to the CT River flooding. Soon enough...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Hollow, Nells Rock, Silver Lake
Colebrook reservoir looks sick
AVec80X

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colebrook Res is amazing! Tons of area to cover. Sadly, it's an hour+ drive for me, only hit it once or twice a year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Quonipaug off Rt 77 in N. Guilford is a good spot during west winds,..but forget it if the wind is from the North or South. I think it has a 6hp motor limit,..so not too many boaters.
Oh,..except on weekday afternoons when the schools have rowing practice there and they buzz up and down the lake constanly... (until the schools are off for the summer.)

The rest of these lakes have shelter from the wind in some places regardless of which direction it's blowing...

Messerschmitt lake in Westbrook is a carry in launch so only occasional small john-boats or canoes go there.

Cedar Lake in Chester has boats but it is 6mph speed limit and most boats just use their trolling motor there.

Pataconk also in Chester is another carry-in spot and I don't think I ever saw anything bigger than a canoe there.

Each of these lakes holds big bass....I am quite sure that I've caught fish over 5-lbs in all of them. Cool
Marky2002S

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Quassapaug as soon as it opens is amazing if you can get access. Long Meadow Pond in Naugatuck hold some nice large mouth bass as well. Bantam is always fun and so is the Bantam River. Those are my primary go to placrs. Also Lake Winnemaug in Watertown, never caught anything there but ill attribute that to bad luck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Bantam River from Little Pond (aka Little Bantam) to Bantam Lake is a really nice paddle. Fishing-wise, there's a little of everything in the river, although I've never seen a largemouth bass over four pounds in there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigelow hollow state park with Bigelow pond, lake mashapaug and if you're brave enough Breakneck pond.
eatsleepfish91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell's Hollow has always been a fun trip when waters were to rough elsewhere. Just watch for snakes when paddling near the trees and stumps Wink
Jeff_Treebass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up for meeting up all over the state in summer time since I usually have most of it off. Fished Silver lake, Black pond, Wethersfield cove regularly past season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: