CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fly Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Fenton River brookies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fermat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Fenton River brookies Reply with quote

Checked out the Fenton River in Storrs for the first time about a week ago. Not really expecting to catch anything interesting and mostly there for some recon on the river, I lazily swung a few different wets in any water that looked remotely promising. No luck on the swing, but as I headed back near my car I noticed a fish rising in a small pool under some overhanging branches near the bank. Tied on a beetle and promptly lost it in the brush behind me in my excitement. I had packed just a handful of flies and some tippet that day, so I tied on the only other terrestrial I had, which was a bright foam-bodied hopper (I think a 12). Coax in a drift under the brush and WHAM! An eager strike from what turned out to be an ~8 inch brookie. As I'm getting that guy off the hook and revived, I notice another rise from the back of the same hole. Two casts later, I'm hooked onto his 6 inch little brother. So, if anyone is wondering, the Fenton holds brook trout and they don't seem too selective at all. Fall colors starting to come in on both of them - great looking fish.

Sorry, no pics. Still too warm to justify stressing out wild trout just for a picture. Plus, I plan to catch both of them again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are cute little suckers but I sure try not to catch those small ones as just pulling them inshore lately stresses the heck out of them!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
asianfisher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best looking trout in my opinion.... steelies slowly starting up salmon river NY non reported in the south sandy yet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: