CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: First one of the Year! Skitter Pop was the Master!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: First one of the Year! Skitter Pop was the Master! Reply with quote

Arrived at the city ramp around 4:30 with my 7 foot Airwave Fierce 2000 10 lb Spiderwire Stealth setup. Find 2 locals there just after I arrive.

Bunker weren't splashing much and heard about the bunker die off. I tried casting with a SP-9 while 1 of the locals tried throwing an Atoms but neither of us had any luck.

Once it was about 5 I headed over to the honey hole seeing low tide was scheduled for 5:28. I had confidence that I was gonna get into a Skitter Pop bite and the rain many were predicting wasn't gonna be bad right on the shoreline.

Around 5:15 is when it started to drizzle. Just before dead low is when I started getting a few swirls on a SSP-12. Rain lasted for about 20 minutes but never had any downpour. Once the rain had stopped and the tide got stronger, fish started getting more active. 2 other surfcasters then arrived separately, with 1 of the being the local guy who fished the honey hole with me about 3 or so weeks ago.

As I stuck mostly with the SSP-12, the local switched between SSP-12 and Cotton Cordell Pencil Popper and the other caster stuck with his Cotton Cordell. The local and I were getting most of the attention with our Skitter Pops. The other guy started getting into a better bite once he switched over to a small Badonk A Donk.

Once tide got too high to be staying out there, I headed out to Fayerweather while the other 2 headed back to their cars.

Never caught anything out on Fayerweather before calling it a night around 9.

My total was 4 stripers up to a chunky 25"er and my first blue of the year, being a 4 pound tailor. The local landed 4 stripers up to 27" and 2 blues, with 1 being a 2 pound snarbor and the other a 6 pound tailor. The other guy landed 2 stripers and 2 pound snarbor, with 1 striper being a 31" keeper. The local and I had tons of swirls and explosions on the SSP-12 and also lost quite a few. The guy throwing the Cotton Cordell got a number of swirls but not a whole lot like the local and me, but was getting into better action with the smaller Badonk A Donk.

Funny thing was every time the local and I had a swirl, explosion, or set the hook, we'd yell out, "SKITTER POP!", cause that was the lure.
basshole56

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report as always mikey. question- ever use the Rapala x-rap sub walk 15? Brother in law gave me one and just checking in before I use it.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used the X-Rap Subwalk. I prefer to stick with surface walk-the-dog with the X-Rap Walk XRW-11 and XRW-13. You can even pencil pop with the X-Rap Walk.
basshole56

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will give it a shot and let you know....
dtracy1119

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike. I'm the other surfcaster with you guys. I had a ton of fun that day. Just let me know when you get out there again. I try to make it any free time I have. See ya around. Skitter Pop!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: