CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: First shore trip. Places to go?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimberultra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: First shore trip. Places to go? Reply with quote

I plan on going down to the shore to do some fishing but I have almost zero experience on locations. I'd be looking for a place that's preferably the east side of the river (I live in Manchester) and also has parking, easy to find and produces fish. I've used a bunch of resources but I figured if I just asked it will save alot if time and gas trying to find a spot on my own.

Thanks for the help
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, dont know that area at all!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on what you're trying to catch... But here's a few areas you can try:

DEEP Pier in Old Lyme. Right off rt 156. Mostly blues and stripers here. Snapper blues in late summer to fall. Hickory shad as well and the occasional fluke and catfish. Get out as FAR as you can when chucking bait., because most of the pier is shallow til you get out a ways. Try to get toward the end, Closer to the channel and away from all the snags towards the bridge.

Rocky Neck state park. From what I can remember, there's a jetty you can fish off. Haven't been there in years, but i know there's a charge to get in. Also right off ft 156. Blues toward fall, stripers, fluke, porgies, and the occasional blackfish. Sand sharks at night.

Niantic River by the Blackhawk. Right off rt 156 before the draw bridge. On the inside of the river you can fish off the pier. Stripers, the ooccasional blue, fluke, hickory shad in the fall, and blackfish around the rocks. I hear they re-opened the beach side, but friday thru sunday there's a charge. Stripers, blues toward the fall, hickory shad in the fall at the right time, fluke, and sand sharks at night.

Jordan Cove in Waterford. Also called Dock Rd or Pleasure Beach. You can fish off the rocks, but respect the signs. There's not a lot of fishing room here due to private property, but the fishing can be good. Porgies dunkin worms and squid, blackfish, stripers, fluke, blues toward fall. Blitzes aren't uncommon here in the fall and the occasional false albies come through as well as snapper blues.

Harkness Park i think is also in Waterford. There's a charge to get in and a walk to get to the water, but it's a great spot. Stripers can be caught and blues can be common. Blackfish off the rocks as well as some porgies.

These are all well known spots. Great spots to start. And you shouldn't have any problem looking them up if you need directions. You can also stop at Hillyers in Waterford, which is right behind sunset rib in waterford. You can see the restaurant from the draw bridge on 156, usually with the wacky inflatable arm waving tube man on the roof. Good luck to you.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
Kimberultra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks. I appreciate your help. Not trying to catch anything specific. A healthy mix of all fish is always good. Haha
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinSolak wrote:
All depends on what you're trying to catch... But here's a few areas you can try:

Niantic River by the Blackhawk. Right off rt 156 before the draw bridge. On the inside of the river you can fish off the pier. Stripers, the ooccasional blue, fluke, hickory shad in the fall, and blackfish around the rocks. I hear they re-opened the beach side, but friday thru sunday there's a charge. Stripers, blues toward the fall, hickory shad in the fall at the right time, fluke, and sand sharks at night.

You can fish the new jetty beachside, and I've been told they don't charge at night.

All good spots, and you cant work your way through them west to east or east to west depending on the tide. I often fish with friends and we'll do a shotgun start and call when someone finds fish. Of course this only works if your "friends" decide to call when the bite picks up Laughing
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: