CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: first striper from shore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicklovesPK

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: first striper from shore Reply with quote

river still high but managed a 19" striper north of hartford. thought i would catch more but that was it.
mustang11

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad, glad you got something. I wen't this weekend on the boat south of Middletown and didn't catch anything. Water didn't look as high but there was a lot of debris still.

Brian
Basstrapper

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: shore strippers Reply with quote

Hay guys. Where else are there some good river shore spots for casting for strippers. i got a kayak. but im not prepared for fighting stippers on it. wouldnt mind casting for them from shore if there some hot spots....
mustang11

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the mouth of the river there are good places at the DEP pier in Old Lyme and the Route 154 causeway over South Cove. I have gotten keepers at both those places.

The Old Saybrook boat launch can be fished from too, but there's only one small dock going out, it looks like it gets crowded and there is a lot of up close boat traffic.

Brian
Basstrapper

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: nice Reply with quote

yah your the second person this week telling me about the DEP docks over there. I think i might have to check that out.... Thats still considered inland fishing right. and is ok with the freshwater liscence. dont need salty liscence right?
mustang11

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is marine actually. The I95 highway bridge is the line on the CT river.

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2696&q=322698&depNav_GID=1630

I think the salt licenses are down to $10 for residents now so if it looks like a spot you would be interested it it might be worth it.

When you are ready for the kayak, there is a cartop boat launch just down the street on the Lieutenant River with good access to the southern river and the sound. I used to launch an inflatable out of there to fish and crab.

Brian
Basstrapper

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: niec Reply with quote

yah that sounds good. if there down to $10 for resident, i will definatly just do that to be safe. im about to go over to the quinipiac in wallingford after work around 4 to do some fly fishing for the little strippers in there. i caught a few last week under 12 inches. but fun on a little fly rod in that fast water. shad are there to. some up around 3 lbs. serious fight on light tackle. cant wait. this weather is Awsomeee.
mustang11

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah a fly rod for the little guys sounds like it would be fun.

I do mostly saltwater fishing these days and you never know what size you are going to hook so I don't use a lot of light rigs... But I have wanted to try my bass rods on the schoolie size fish, seems like it would be a real fun fight.

Brian
PECo

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday at 1:15 pm, I drove over the Route 140 bridge from Windsor Locks to East Windsor and saw three boats in the river. Two of them appeared to be fishing the piers of the Dexter Coffin Bridge (aka the Interstate 91 bridge) and one was banging the east bank just south of the Route 140 bridge. I thought that they were probably targeting smallies, but they might have been looking for stripers.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: nice Reply with quote

Yah on the CT river in the middletown area near the portland bridge. ive had some friend hooking Pike, and Strippers all in the same day. its really getting to me. i need to get out there soon. just work has me so backed up right now. hopefuly next weekend i will have everything caught up so i can get the heck out for a full day of fishing. much needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: